Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

go here for what we're planning.

and go here for trip reports to whet your appetite.

Sadly, the only entries in the website calendar that are populated by the server are registrants' birthdays. In my experience, runs have not made it onto the calendar.

What antenna/mount did you go with? Where did you put it?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Lifted

Thanks for the links. I had seen those pages but I was looking for something kind of like we do, where monthly trips are planned in advance and then people will post up impromptu runs. The challenge would be figuring out which trips you ham guys will be going on.

As for the antenna, didn't get one yet. Figured I'd set the radio on the mantle and stare at the radio for a while. Just kidding, a friend has offered up a 2m magmount so I can at least try the 2m band while I mull over antenna options. Deciding on a radio was hard enough yesterday. I'll be up in Denver again next weekend, daughter has lacrosse jamboree up there so I can swing by HRO and get an antenna then.

Mobile antennas is one area I have not spent much time researching too much, not yet anyway. corsair23, is the rear hatch the preferred mount location on a 80 series?

I do see a homebrew J pole in my not too distant future.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun Commander

little late to the party here, but congrats on the ticket and the 7900, great choice! Don't worry if you change your mind later, you can always sell later and recover 75-80%.. these ham things are better than Toyotas for resale value. But my radio recommendation would have been, and still is, get as many radios as possible

For mounting to the 80, I've run it mounted to the edge of the hood, edge of the rear hatch, and I'm about to move it to the front fender, using one of these mounts: http://www.gamiviti.com/html/product...nnamounts.html Not really trying to sell a mount here (currently out of stock anyway) but I'll share my experiences. On the hood mount was the wire was moved a lot, and the clearance was too small between the hood and the fender, resulting in the coax crimping and shorting out after about 2 years. On the rear hatch, there's a lot more clearance between the sheet metal, so crimping is less of a concern. But I have to remove the antenna to get the 80 in the garage, which is a pain, plus it's vulnerable to branches up there so I'm often switching antennas depending on terrain. The big antennas (liker Comet SBB5) work a lot better on the highway at getting those repeaters and other travelers than the little stubby whips (likre Comet SBB1). So I'm back to the front fender, this time mounted to the fender instead of the hood so the coax never has to move, and hopefully won't crimp.

For true performance, I'd rank order your antenna locations as smack dab in the center of the roof, top of rear hatch, edge of hood, front bumper, then rear bumper, from best to worst. Then factor in if you have any vertical clearance concerns and go from there. hth!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Only comment that I have is that I would typically drill a hole in the roof.... But I am not willing to take down the glued on headliner on my 1994... I think the 95+ has a more traditional clip/screw set up... with the proper hole saw its a breeze.... (one that has a stop on it to keep you out of the headliner)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hunter View Post
Hopefully, I didn't over spend seems like this was a good compromise.
Nah, you got a nice middle of the road radio. Pretty sure that (and it's cousin the previous FT-7800) is the first new radio for probably 75% of the club. You don't give up anything performance-wise to the FT-8800R, gain a couple of nice things, lose the dual VFO and dual tuner. If the choice is 1 x FT8800 or 1 x FT-7900 and a used (or even new) HT sooner then there is no comparison IMVHO.

I agree with Howard, drill the hole and be done with it. It's like ripping off a bandaid, just gotta grimace and do it. FWIW I run a Larsen NMO 2/70 dual band antenna and am very happy with it. But honestly for 2m and 70cm there are tons of fine choices, look for one that is around 3~4dBi of gain and has what seems well made.

If you don't want to drill the hole, then the next best option are the edge mounts with set screws. They bite into the paint a bit and can generally give you a decent enough ground coupling. Mag mounts in my view are not great unless you really don't have another option. They scratch paint and fall off and perform worse than better ways of mounting.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Any of these work, http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...&subgroupId=20

If you buy the larsen dual band antenna, the rod is thin enough to bend to get 100% vertical if you mount it on an odd surface.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
.. but congrats on the ticket and the 7900, great choice!
Thanks, I got the transceiver mounted today, driver side kick panel area, tucked up and out of the way. Plus I can remove it fairly easily for indoor use. Went ahead and did the CDL and 7-pin mod since I was in there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker View Post
.. I think the 95+ has a more traditional clip/screw set up...
I'll have to check into that, never even looked at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If the choice is 1 x FT8800 or 1 x FT-7900 and a used (or even new) HT sooner then there is no comparison IMVHO.
That was kind of what I was thinking, but down the road a bit.

On to mount locations. I am definitely not opposed to drilling holes. The challenge I have is I put things on the roof, Yakima rocket box, canoe, half width rack. My best option on roof would be right (passenger) rear. The PO put a satellite radio antenna there but I haven't looked at it closely. A concern on roof mount is also antenna height, so as Nakman suggested two antennas is an option there. The guys at HRO mentioned that as well, the top of the roof is pretty high as is. I kind of like the idea of the fender mount Nakman has as well but is getting 50w in the face a good idea , yes newbie question? Then there is mounting in back, not on hatch itself but body, similar to fender mount.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by CO Hunter; 05-30-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Lifted

OK so after more reading I'm looking at the right rear roof, someone on here had done that and I have existing holes from the removal of the factory rack. The satellite radio pod was a strong little magnet. Any advice on the best way to route the antenna wire to the front drivers side?

Update: Going for the center of the roof and will use mag mount or glass antenna and pigtail when hauling stuff on the roof.

Last edited by CO Hunter; 05-31-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hunter View Post
OK so after more reading I'm looking at the right rear roof, someone on here had done that and I have existing holes from the removal of the factory rack. The satellite radio pod was a strong little magnet. Any advice on the best way to route the antenna wire to the front drivers side?

Update: Going for the center of the roof and will use mag mount or glass antenna and pigtail when hauling stuff on the roof.
The channels down by the doors make great raceways for wires and such...Hidden under the door jam panels etc. out of harms way. My FT-8800 is located in the PS rear compartment (attached to a FZJ80 subwoofer bracket I picked up from a guy on MUD) and my faceplate is in the front just under where the ashtray would be (but where my CB is). I ran the cable from the separation kit from the transceiver in the PS rear all the way to the front in the channel down the passenger side.

You could run your antenna cable the same way, but up the DS I'm thinking. Or if you're drilling a hole through the roof then you could run it across the headliner and then down the B or C pillar and then up to the front.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM

I just changed my HRO order from HT to mobile after reading this thread.

Thanks everyone.

Rami
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK