Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Wincher

I need to get back in the habit of getting on air, I am a member of the ARES D24 group in Douglas County (a great organization to participate in if you are looking for a fun way to do more community service and learn more about HAM radio at the same time) but I have been a bit absent lately.

I have a Kenwood D710 that I love (APRS built in). I usually monitor 447.150 which is where the ARES guys hang out. But since I want to monitor more than one freq at a time what I am planning to do is to put another (smaller) antenna on my front bumper and run it inside to my HT (Yaesu VX-7R) so I can monitor 3 freqs: 447.150 147.225 and another not sure which i would land on most

I am also thinking about picking up this little CB unit for the times when I have to use CB when wheeling (although I really don't like CB - been spoiled by HAM range and clarity for too long).

But to Dave's point, I would likely not hang out on simplex, I would only move there as appropriate. I would rather stay tuned into more action on the repeaters...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I guess I need to just call a lbit differently and see what happens. Good points Dave. I always feel like Simplex is a bit mroe personal, but I guess repeaters can be worked to be the same as well.

The non RS folks on simplex that I talk to are out of loveland, I dig chatting with them because it is a relatively long distance.
82 FJ40
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey, it worked! I called out on 145.460 and ended up chatting with Corsair23 for a bit.. so that was cool.... listen for me on the way to the meeting tomorrow.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

I really want to get more repeaters programmed into my radio but I've been having a hard time finding extra time while babysitting the baby . Is there any reason I can't bring the ham inside from the vehicle and connect it to a small 12V motorcycle battery for power and program it that way?

'85 FJ60
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

you could do that.. probably beats sitting in a hot garage for a couple hours like I do then I forget what all the buttons do by the time I go to use it.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I really want to get more repeaters programmed into my radio but I've been having a hard time finding extra time while babysitting the baby . Is there any reason I can't bring the ham inside from the vehicle and connect it to a small 12V motorcycle battery for power and program it that way?
That is what I did when Dave came over to program mine. I have a little 12v power supply that I used for car stereo tests. If you have a battery box you can use that also, works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dave depending on the time you heard me I may have actually working an emergency. My friends F350 lost his tranny and came down I-70 right before Morrison with just brakes. He had his 4K# camper on it and towing his *eep. We took of our rigs we were towing and had the ladies drive them home. I gave home my HT and I used my truck mounted unit. I stayed on 4.46 so I would not use a frequency somebody else uses plus if a RS person heard us he/she would have been amused. Tried to stay of the air as much as possible since he does not have a license and I identified about every ten.

All went well and he was really impressed with the clarity etc.

As for me I monitor 4.460 and the Denver repeater but I only drive 5 minutes to work. I'll try the other ones also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What radio do you have? I loaded up the Dave special programming on my FT-8800 via the laptop while it was in the truck...Not sure what other radios the software and cable will program though...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Hey, it worked! I called out on 145.460 and ended up chatting with Corsair23 for a bit.. so that was cool.... listen for me on the way to the meeting tomorrow.
I thought we were on 147.225

Or maybe I was and you were on 145.460 - Still pretty to chat with someone that far away...First time I've had the radio on in a couple weeks...I actually had to plug my mic back in for the occasion
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think it's a good idea Dave. And now that for the first time ever the cpu in my FT-90 locked up and I accidentally did a hard reset instead of a soft reset and lost years of saved freqs. I guess it's time to put RS freqs. in the first 10 or so memory slots.

Back in Cali i talked on repeaters all the time. We had long commutes (2 hours some times) and a regular rag chew going for about 6 years. I remember all the names and calls and even some faces. Zero calls still throw me. It's simplex that keeps me quiet...mostly because without a squelch tail I have no idea if my signal even got out. When new, this radio had an intermmiten tx problem. I always had to kerchunk before tx'ing because sometimes I didn't open the squelch on the repeaters. Have not had that problem for years but I'm still curious sometimes if the lack of response is due to no carrier.