Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Trail suggestions?

Howdy gang! I know some of your names from Mud and this is how I knew of Rising Sun.

A buddy of mine in his rear locked and lifted taco and myself in my LX450 locked arb'd sliderd... are looking for a good day and a half spot to run. No trail damage is wanted, but some good out and away spot would be nice. We are starting from Colorado Springs.
Next Sunday we have a good long week or so and we were looking for a good point to point overland kinda run, multi day trail. I'm running an RTT and I am morally and ethically opposed to pay campsites so i'd prefer open camping land, such as BLM type land.

Any good suggestions for those two run types?
1.5 day overnighter from C Springs
5 day starting this sunday from C Springs

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeremy
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

chinamans in buena vista. it's a challenging trail. may need a winch if you're new to it as it's gotten pretty chewed up. also potential for body damage. can camp at the trailhead.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Nuke Lemon,

Thanks, for the suggestion, all the trail reports i've read sounds bad a$$. Might be a little out of our league. I don't mind a little tough stuff but it cant be too challenging for the stock unprotected Taco.

I've read a little about Texas creek for the short trip and thought about the Kokopelli for the long trip.

Thoughts, experience?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

There are a bunch of trails along I-70 heading west from Denver. Bill Moore comes to mind, but it is early season so you will encounter snow. If you are thinking Kokapelli, never done it, I understand there is a deep water crossing this time of year, maybe Chris Davis will chime in on that one. If you are heading that far west, Moab is a couple hours further.....this time of year that is my recommendation!

Hope it helps!!!

______
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

As everyone stated, it's early and still lots of snow up high keeping the trails closed. I would head to Utah if you have 5 days to play.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Rock Stacker

We hit Texas Creek. Great spot, beautiful campsite. Left C Springs at noon and were back by 3pm the next day and had several hours on the trail. It was a pretty straight forward trail. Good dirt, steep sections that make it nice to use the 4lo for gearing only. Maybe a spot or two where tire placement is somewhat important. Other than that, it was pretty easy. I only ran road 6040 on the blm map. The camping is beautiful though. Took an almost stock Taco with a lift and 33's and fairly new trail driver.

Highly recommended for a fun easy day on the trail. attached pic shows the view and the camp site was just out of view on the left frame of the pic.

Tomorrow we set off for the Kokopelli Trail. Hopefully, water levels are good for crossings.

Any experience from Kokopelli would be awesome, i'll be able to check the forum up til 5pm tomorrow. I've read a bunch of reports so we should be fine, but the more info the better.

Jeremy
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Rock Stacker

womacje,
that is a great shot. i'm new to the rockies and i want to have exactly these views on my trails this summer. i researched "texas creek" a bit and from what it says, it's only suitable for atv's and bikes - not for the difficulty but for the width of the trails. no?
also, do you have a gps data from that spot? if yes and you don't want to make that public, would you pm it to me?
thanks a lot
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Rock Stacker

Texas creek is a narrow run, you will pinstripe your truck. Other than that not technical. To find that view just head tothe top. You'll see where that pic was taken from when you get to the high desert. A big beautiful open field surrounded by trees and a tabletop plateau. When you enter the park stay on the main trail 6040 if I remember correctly. In one weekend you'll be able to see all that Texas creek has to offer not much ground to cover. Enjoy and let me know if you'd like to know more.

For more images check out my page Expedition Ops on facebook.

Thanks.

Jeremy
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Rock Stacker

that's the info i needed. a little pinstriping is fine.
thanks jeremy.