Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default The Colorado FM Sprint

http://www.qsl.net/k0yb/Colorado_FM_Sprint.html

Time:
Sunday, June 13, 2010; 1200 to 1600 Mountain Time (1800 to 2200 UTC)

Objective:
To work as many stations as possible using FM simplex on the 146 MHz, 222 MHz and 440 MHz bands in as many different VHF grids as possible.
Frequencies:

Operate on FM simplex frequencies consistent with the Colorado Council of Amateur Radio Clubs (CCARC) band plans with special emphasis on using ARES designated frequencies.

(Consistent with the ARRL Rules, 146.52 MHz is not allowed to be used in the contest.)

Suggested Frequencies:
2 Meters: 146.58, 146.55, 146.49 MHz

222 MHz: 223.5 MHz

440 MHz: 446.0, 446.025, 446.100 MHz

Do not operate on repeater frequencies or 146.52 MHz, the National Simplex Calling Frequency.

Remember to be a considerate operator and share the frequency with other operators.
Contest Exchange

To complete a contest QSO, you and the other station must copy each other’s callsign and 4-digit Grid Locator. You may optionally exchange Name and ARES District.

Entry Categories:
The following entry categories are available for this contest, consistent with the entry categories for the ARRL June QSO Party. All categories (excluding Single Operator Portable) operate within these power limits: (146 MHz--200 W PEP, 222 MHz 100 W PEP, 440 MHz 100 W PEP).

Single Operator – same as Single Operator Low Power in the ARRL rules

Single Operator Portable – power limit of 10 W PEP, operating from a fixed location using a portable power source, portable equipment and antennas

Rover – operates from 2 or more grid squares with 1 or 2 operators, same definition as Limited Rover in the ARRL rules. Rovers must sign “Rover” after their callsign.

Multioperator – operates with more than with operator from a fixed location

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I must be an idiot. 4-digit Grid Locator?
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I must be an idiot. 4-digit Grid Locator?
Google Maidenhead Grid System and that should give you all the 4-1-1 you could want. Suffice to say most of the Rising Sun lives in 4-digit grid square DM79 with the exception of north Boulderites who sit in DN70.

http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php

http://www.arrl.org/grid-squares

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Weather might be lousy this weekend, but is anyone interested in this? I'm thinking about trying to hobble together a PVC and welding rod VHF yagi and bikepack the station up some place high. Maybe ride up to the Devil's Head fire lookout or I do have an idea for around Guanella with a 2m vertical on top of a tall pole. Just thinking out loud, point is that with a crappy radio down here in town no reason to try anything beyond DM79.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Weather might be lousy this weekend, but is anyone interested in this? I'm thinking about trying to hobble together a PVC and welding rod VHF yagi and bikepack the station up some place high. Maybe ride up to the Devil's Head fire lookout or I do have an idea for around Guanella with a 2m vertical on top of a tall pole. Just thinking out loud, point is that with a crappy radio down here in town no reason to try anything beyond DM79.
Dave, I've got that exact antenna in my shed.. it's Groucho's but I'm sure you're welcome to borrow it. It could probably use some SWR tuning.. I wasn't able to hit the Connection from BFE which was my ultimate plan, and couldn't make it do anything that the truck antenna wasn't already doing, then it got windy so I took it down.

As for Sunday the best I could do is listen from down here in the city.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Maybe

Might be interested. No cases sked for 2marrow, so tentatively I have the day off. I'll see if I can 1) whip up a 6 meter Moxon, I think 50 mHz is where the action will be. 2) Check the snow pack reports. No sense Mt. topping unless we're activating a grid square somebody wants to tic off.

edit - woops. looks like its a 144/222/70 event. I guess a Moxon will be real easy then :-)
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think I'll be doing something, any ideas Brian? I will have a 3 element VHF and 7 element UHF hand held yagi for my radio, so probably be running 5W and a prayer. The beam could handle 50W if I rig up a mount, I'd rather not hold that by hand.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Was thinking Mt Herman Rd, I think that's DM78, but I'll bet WG0AT has it locked up. Now that I see the Wx forecast, I'm not sure I wanna be on any exposed high points.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes, I think that's right, DM78. Weather tomorrow I guess is supposed to be a lot like today, so yeah, I understand.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So did you guys do anything with this yesterday? I had an HT on in the kitchen for a while, but never heard much of anything.. ah well.

www.gamiviti.com