Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Engine Work?

My #2 cyl has no compression on my 2F (actually an imp F, but it is basically a 2F). Valves look OK, but I didn't take everything apart. Might be the rings. Anyway, I will probably have the motor rebuilt or buy a used motor and have it installed.

Who thinks I should rebuild? I am leaning toward having a good used motor to replace my current one. Who would be a good/trusted mechanic to do such work? I would do it myself, but things are crazy with a 9 month old at home and I don't want my FJ to be a paperweight for years while I slowly rebuild.

Any suggestions are welcome.

No 350 swap. Want to keep it Toyota.

Pictures are just for fun. No signs of what is wrong that I could see w/o pulling the head and looking inside the beast.
Attached Images

Last edited by MattFJ40; 06-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFJ40 View Post
...Who would be a good/trusted mechanic to do such work? .

This guy can make your 2F scream like a newborn.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=10843

(in a good way!)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Robbie is your mechanic.

You may want to perform a leak down test to determine where your actual problem is. Could save you some money if all you really need is some head work.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
This guy can make your 2F scream like a newborn.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=10843

(in a good way!)
I just got off the phone with Robbie. He is going to stop by and take a look.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Robbie is your mechanic.

You may want to perform a leak down test to determine where your actual problem is. Could save you some money if all you really need is some head work.
I haven't gotten around to that yet. Wasn't sure if it was needed since I have no compression on that cyl and the plug looked like somebody hit it with a hammer. Funny thing is that the motor still runs. If it weren't for the lack of Vacuum when that cyl fires and the fact that it doesn't have compression on that cyl. Idles fine and doesn't make noise yet. I think I just caught it at the start. I am sure if i keep running it there will be a big mech failure (worse than I have now).
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Robbie. He is going to stop by and take a look.
Very impressive. Robbie is road-tripping back from an extended work trip in California, but not too tired to make one last stop and help out a fellow Cruiser owner. Nice.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I haven't gotten around to that yet. Wasn't sure if it was needed since I have no compression on that cyl and the plug looked like somebody hit it with a hammer. Funny thing is that the motor still runs. If it weren't for the lack of Vacuum when that cyl fires and the fact that it doesn't have compression on that cyl. Idles fine and doesn't make noise yet. I think I just caught it at the start. I am sure if i keep running it there will be a big mech failure (worse than I have now).
on the contrary. You want to do a leakdown on a cylender With No or bad compression #'s to determin weither it is top end or bottom end. And were the compression loss is generating ie. Intake/exhaust/cooling system/oiling system/ or Cylender blow by.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Do a simple compression test on all 6 cylinders, that will give you a much better idea if you need a total rebuild or just a valve job. If the other 5 cylinders are all within 10% of each other and not too low compared to the factory spec (be sure and adjust for the elevation difference:actual reading divided by .86) you can probably get by without a full rebuild. 0 compression on 1 cylinder could be a blown head gasket, a burnt valce or a cracked valve seat. All are fixed by pulling the head as the first step.

If the engine isn't burning oil in addition to the #2 cylinder issue you probably should just do the valve job.

I am not a big fan of installing used engines unless you are totally desperate or unless you know the engine's real history. Otherwise you could go to a lot of effort to install something that could start giving you a lot of trouble right away.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Do a simple compression test on all 6 cylinders, that will give you a much better idea if you need a total rebuild or just a valve job. If the other 5 cylinders are all within 10% of each other and not too low compared to the factory spec (be sure and adjust for the elevation difference:actual reading divided by .86) you can probably get by without a full rebuild. 0 compression on 1 cylinder could be a blown head gasket, a burnt valce or a cracked valve seat. All are fixed by pulling the head as the first step.

If the engine isn't burning oil in addition to the #2 cylinder issue you probably should just do the valve job.

I am not a big fan of installing used engines unless you are totally desperate or unless you know the engine's real history. Otherwise you could go to a lot of effort to install something that could start giving you a lot of trouble right away.
I did a compression test on all 6. The motor was cold since I didn't want to run the motor to get it to operating temp. The other 5 had compression that were just OK. One had a zero reading (tried 3 times). No burning of motor oil that I can see. To be honest I have only put 100 miles or so on it since the last change, but 70 of those were hard miles on Moab trails.

I pulled the valve cover, but didn't see anything (untrained eye though). I guess the next step is to pull the head. Then it will be a paperweight so I am not excited about that.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post

(in a good way!)
Anybody else had good luck with Robbie doing work on your rig? I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a good guy.

Nakman - How many miles do you have on your rebuild? Was he able to get the project done on-time/on-budget?