Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Lift served downhill mountain biking

I've never done the lift served resort biking before and am looking for a recommendation. A friend of mine is visiting in late August we want to give it a try. I've spent a lot of time on a mountain bike but it has never been on a downhill coarse with a full face helmet.

A quick internet search shows that Keystone and Winter Park offer DH trails. Snowmass does too but that's too far to drive since we aren't staying in the mountains. Are there any other places I should look at?

Bruce
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

We were in Beaver Creek a couple of weeks ago and my youngest son rented a bike and got the ski pass. There were still many of the trails closed (runoff) but the guy at the top of the lift gave him some good guidance on a couple of ways down the mountain. He had a good time.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've done Keystone a few times, Vail a few years ago, Winter Park. I am far from a DH'er, but Keystone on my bike (Blur LT, 140mm Fox Vanilla in front) was actually a lot of fun because they have trails options that aren't super gonzo but still a hoot on an all mountain or trail bike (the greens and blues). Winter Park we rented big hit bikes and honestly I'm just too much of a chicken to really open them up. Cool thing about WP is that they have lots of other things to do if you get bored or tired. You've got the alpine slide and stuff.

FWIW, you don't so much need a full face helmet but I would go ahead and get shin/knee and maybe elbow guards. Also wearing longer and baggier shorts is nice. But do definitely get shin guards, you will almost certainly hamburger your shins from the pedals otherwise. Also running 2.3+ tires is not a bad idea.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Last year we did it at Winter Park and had a blast. I have only done it once and done it there so maybe not the best to ask, but it worked well for us.

My brother will be here Aug 6-8th and that's where we are headed for a day.

http://www.trestlebikepark.com/

Looks like prices went up a little from last year.

There seemed to be lots of different trails for all skill levels which made it fun. We were able to ride stuff that kept our group of 4 cross country folks very entertained. I can say I had a blast doing it and can't wait till my brother gets here and we can do it again.
82 FJ40
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I've done Keystone a few times, Vail a few years ago, Winter Park. I am far from a DH'er, but Keystone on my bike (Blur LT, 140mm Fox Vanilla in front) was actually a lot of fun because they have trails options that aren't super gonzo but still a hoot on an all mountain or trail bike (the greens and blues). Winter Park we rented big hit bikes and honestly I'm just too much of a chicken to really open them up. Cool thing about WP is that they have lots of other things to do if you get bored or tired. You've got the alpine slide and stuff.

FWIW, you don't so much need a full face helmet but I would go ahead and get shin/knee and maybe elbow guards. Also wearing longer and baggier shorts is nice. But do definitely get shin guards, you will almost certainly hamburger your shins from the pedals otherwise. Also running 2.3+ tires is not a bad idea.

Winter park rents the whole package along with the helmets, I was very happy to have all the gear given the speeds we were travelling and the proximity to trees. It litterally felt like I was on my old CR250 dirt bike but at a tiny percentage of the weight and silent. We rented the Demo DH bikes and the regular rentals (true DH bikes also) and it seemed like the regular DH bikes were more than sufficient for our skill levels. We also did it in hiking boots and that was nice. But yeah, kinda opposite Dave... I'd do the full face helmet that comes with the armor packages they offer.
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 06-21-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I've done it at Whistler/Black Comb, Winter Park, and Breckenridge. I had the most fun at Breck.. we ended up over on peak 10 then had a really fun trek back to peak 8- we didn't go up and down as much as we went back and forth, but the few lift rides were really cool. hth..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Everythng Dave said x2..Vail used to be awesome, not sur eif they still do it but they must..

Keystone is a real favorite also, being at the top and seeing the lake and all pretty cool..

WP is also super fun. What about Eldora, your back yard?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Go to Keystone. Rent all the pads and a real downhill bike.