Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
grntrdtaco

Default flipped jeep at the top of lead king basin

anyone know whose jeep is on the roof in the stream at the top of lead king basin?

it had a full cage and no doors. it looked like it had been up there for a while. im sure its leaking fluids straight into the stream.

i would be willing to help in getting it out of there if someone is headed up. i can put a few pics up when i get home tonight.

lets get this thing out of the river at the very least. the recovery will be pretty difficult i think.

lead king road is still blocked by an avalanche near the bottom of the marble side. it could be driven through with a support vehicle to pull you back when you get stuck and probably early morning before it gets real soft.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Pics for sure...

Sounds like something that might have been up there since last year? Did you get the license plate number?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
grntrdtaco

definitely from within the past +/- 2 weeks.

looked like someone tried to drive over a snow drift (that has since melted) and flopped it into the river.

i think the pics i have show a license plate, wont be home till about 7-8pm (unless they took the plate off) i have a shot from the back of the jeep.

its VERY well built up jeep. (drive shafts, suspension, decent tires, rollcage, no doors, etc..)
looked like they tried to winch off something.. (winch controller was out and smashed under the roof) and a bunch of line was spooled out. lots of tool boxes, spare fluids, etc were what looked like hastily piled up beside it and garbage that had fallen out of the jeep around the truck and in the river that i piled up with the tools/ rubbermaid boxes.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Be curious to see the pics, have a hard time believing any one would leave their rig up there. Has me wondering if it was stolen.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Road trip, let's go get it.....how far from denver is it?

______
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Road trip, let's go get it.....how far from denver is it?
Quite a ways...Probably a 2 day deal or one very long day

The avalanche blocking the trail could prove problematic

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=43
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, crazy.

I am interested in seeing the pics. Did you report it to the FS?
82 FJ40
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
grntrdtaco

the avalanche is not that big of a deal, could easily winch a lifted truck across it and you can access that part of the trail from both sides (i drove up marble side first, turned around and then went up the crystal side all the way back down the the slide. its about 2' deep and some places may be 3' its a section about 100' to some dirt then a deeper section about another 100' but that section goes downhill. with a truck on both sides you could get a truck through it no problem.

could also drag a pull pal through the slide a few times to hack it up a bit, get down to the ice on the bottom.

it would be a difficult recovery of the jeep, shelf road on a switchback. but there are some big pines you could set up snatch blocks. hook a line to the front bumper and pull the truck straight over pivoting off the back bumper onto its wheels then re rig and yank it out. there is no space for a straight pull. and i dont think you could roll it back up onto the road.

i am pretty sure its right here: (will confirm with my gps when i get home)
Circle is where jeep is and blue dashes is about where the avalanche is. road from crystal to the top is completely clear and dry, schofield to crystal is impassable for a while (road is washed out and has deep avalanche debris on it)

Last edited by grntrdtaco; 06-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

We were there Memorial Day weekend and it was clear. I tried to drive over the snow bank that was blocking trail by the river crossing but on 35"s I was only able to get about 3/4 of the way up. I can't see how they would have flipped it unless they ran it up the ledge trying to get traction.

Steve, Marble/Crystal city is past Glenwood Springs and before Aspen. It is a drive to get up there for one day, a weekend would work. I would think with as much traffic as that trail sees it would be gone by the time we get organized and up there.

So where are the pics????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
We were there Memorial Day weekend and it was clear.
I thought you blew up your transfer case, did you get it fixed?
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang