Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yes it has worked, why should they not show the statute(you stated some legal precedent long ago). Who knows, they could be wrong(as in the case of the licence plate being too high). A speeding ticket is a speeding, but there are so many laws most of do not know about that these so called servants of the public claim to know more about. They should show you the statute. Most of these laws we do not know about until we get stopped is to allow the LEO to check us out to make sure we are not under the influence of some drug or other game they want to play.
If the state really had a interest in protecting people, we would go back to vehicle inspection, giving people time to take care of the problem. But then that creates a whole other can of worms. People would not like doing that any more then going to get the emissions tested. There is truely a lot of junk on the roads today that need to be retired.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

You're right, they could be wrong, though I think you are correct that the LEO may have used it as a reason to stop you but didn't write the ticket because he knew it wouldn't fly.

If he did write a ticket that wasn't supported by law the DA's office would toss it out and refuse to prosecute it, plus the cop would get read the riot act for writing it. Of course that assumes you choose to go to court versus just paying the ticket. I have actually seen the DA's office dismiss tickets and refund fines when people mailed them in. Most of the time though their case load is so heavy they don't review the tickets that people just pay.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

OK, so after pursueing the statues for the state, There is no tire wider than the body as Randy states. We do not have to have splash guards (as the state calls mud flaps) on our trucks if under 10000 Gross VW. But the suspension law is interesting and most of us would not be allowed on the road the way it reads currently and if they wanted to enforce it, that statute is 42-4-233.
But real rub I guess is the city and county statutes That those LEO need to enforce. Just get more and more complicated the us As citizens.
Yes you are right. They have a big problem on their hands. I got a speeding ticket in Denver last year, They had over 500 people going to court the day I was assigned to go. I made the choice to not go that day and pay the fine. But in the future I will be going, How can they handle over 500 people in one day.
Not a easy solution at all, but I do believe there are too many laws that we as citizens do not know about, and the first time around we should not be fined, nor have to appear in court(waste of time for every one). A warning should be issued, logged in the computer system and then next time a ticket issued. It seems like they do not issue warning any more, just tickets.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
but I do believe there are too many laws that we as citizens do not know about
You Commit Three Felonies a Day

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
But the suspension law is interesting and most of us would not be allowed on the road the way it reads currently and if they wanted to enforce it, that statute is 42-4-233.
Here's a thread I started a few years ago on Colorado4x4.org. The gist is that the law is still on the books, though rarely enforced. It is, however, probable cause for a stop, and is commonly used that way.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com