Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Tranny Help Needed

Picked up a 4-speed (H42) a couple of months ago for a tranny swap. I've got all the parts but the rear shaft that slips through the T/C has very mared threads. It apears that it was slid across a garage floor and unfortunately I cannot get the nut started. For some reason I over looked this issue when I purchased it but if this wasn't an issue there would be another!!! Anybody know if I can get this re-threaded at a machine shop or do I need to replace the shaft? If replacement is in order, how difficult is it to replace this piece?

Thanks in advance,

Travis
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

You may be able to file it to be able to thread the nut on(small trianglular one comes to mind first, beside the thread file). This would be a metric thread that my be difficult for you to find at most machine shops. They may have a Thread file that could work(a file that is make just for cleaning up threads, they can come in metric sizes, usually 8 different thread pitches on each file) use full tool to have, and I currently do not have one.
Maybe some one else may.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

If it the threads that the pinion nut goes on, you may be able to clean them up with a thread file or run a die on there to get them in shape. It all depends upon how buggered up they are.

With regard to getting a new shaft; I had a 4speed with significant wear on the output shaft splines. I briefly looked into getting a new shaft; SOR has them used for a pretty price. In my case, I bought another transmission which was in much better shape.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941