Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Volmer View Post
Hey Marco can you put a check valve in the line so the fuel does not drain back into the tank? Also the in-line pumps like to push fuel so the closer it is to the tank the better you are and the longer they will last.
As to what corbet was saying the Mustangs in the 80's had two pumps in their fuel system a low pressure in the tank and an external high pressure pump. Some of the euro cars are this way also.
Yeah, I was working on a volvo the other day and noticed it had this type of arrangement. I think the best way to do it is to use the stock type internal pump.

UB, I agree completely and this is why I am taking this route. I actually am thinking about just getting the GM pump module from a silverado which should match the motor pretty well since ti would be what it was like when it was originally in a GM truck.

My current inline pump gets wicked hot, loud, and cavitates at the drop of a hat. It has caused me lots of headaches in the past and I am ready to move on.

Kenny, how ironic that your pump in the GM .. the exact one I want to put in, failed. I am still going this route, but hopefully it lasts for a little while longer than yours did.

It's funny how it has taken me almost three years of daily driving the truck to arrive at the fact that I have to do this, interesting how the thought process/development goes.
82 FJ40
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Volmer View Post
Hey Marco can you put a check valve in the line so the fuel does not drain back into the tank? Also the in-line pumps like to push fuel so the closer it is to the tank the better you are and the longer they will last.
As to what corbet was saying the Mustangs in the 80's had two pumps in their fuel system a low pressure in the tank and an external high pressure pump. Some of the euro cars are this way also.

I got about 1 foot of hose between the pump and tanks, it's as close as I can get..

Didn't think about a check valve... it cavitates and starves while running too though.
82 FJ40
Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Yeah, I was working on a volvo the other day and noticed it had this type of arrangement. I think the best way to do it is to use the stock type internal pump.

UB, I agree completely and this is why I am taking this route. I actually am thinking about just getting the GM pump module from a silverado which should match the motor pretty well since ti would be what it was like when it was originally in a GM truck.

My current inline pump gets wicked hot, loud, and cavitates at the drop of a hat. It has caused me lots of headaches in the past and I am ready to move on.

Kenny, how ironic that your pump in the GM .. the exact one I want to put in, failed. I am still going this route, but hopefully it lasts for a little while longer than yours did.

It's funny how it has taken me almost three years of daily driving the truck to arrive at the fact that I have to do this, interesting how the thought process/development goes.

Marco, is your setup TBI or direct port? I ask because I have a '95 vintage Siverado pump and lines I do not need. I was considering using it on my 80 sub tank set up but I decided I would rather use my old 80 fuel pump instead.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is the later model direct port injection that requires 60psi. The motor is a 5.3 Vortec out of a 2003 vintage chevy something (probably a van or pickup).
82 FJ40
Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
It is the later model direct port injection that requires 60psi. The motor is a 5.3 Vortec out of a 2003 vintage chevy something (probably a van or pickup).
Sorry....go fish!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

So does anybody have a later model silverado or tahoe that they can poke around underneath for me or let me do the same?

I am a bit confused on all the pumps they offer and how they are configured to plumb the fuel system..

prefereably it'd be a truck with a returnless fuel system like mine..
82 FJ40
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Marco,

I have a 02 GMC that i just did the pump. Not sure what you need since i did not read the posts but PM me and maybe i can help with what i learned or seen. Mine has the EVAP system if that means anything.

Kenny
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

i'll pm ya!
82 FJ40
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, thanks a million to kenny... I was able to take his old pump and dissect it to make sure it is what I needed. The new pump is installed and the truck runs great now.

here is the mud thread where I went through it all. I posted it up there for the vortec guys so folks could see what I did.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...onversion.html
82 FJ40
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Glad i could help and it worked out. Now let go wheeling... oh i need brakes first.....
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....