Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Default FJ40 engine install question

This thing has been apart so long I can't remember everything involved with putting it back together. The engine is out, four speed and T-case still in with the bell housing and some strategically placed ratchet straps supporting the latter.

It looks like there is no way to install the engine without assembling the flywheel, clutch and bell housing before sliding that whole assembly into place, correct?

It looks like it will be hell on wheels to try to align the 4 speed and Tcase while installing the engine, so should I pull them and assemble the trans/Tcase/bellhousing/engine outside the truck then install as a whole?

TIA
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Assemble all and install as a unit.

Hang the engine/trans/xfer by a chain from the factory engine hooks.

Dangling from the hoist, angle the engine/trans/xfer unit maybe 15-20 degrees down at the rear, and as you start to get the tranny/trans under the tunnel cover, rest them on a trolley jack (rolling floor jack). Lower the engine somewhat (on the hoist) and raise the trolley jack as needed, and move the drive train backward into place. There's plenty of room to move and room for newbies to get it right.

It's so easy, you'll wonder why you ever pulled a tranny of of an FJ without leaving it attached to the engine and taking it in/out this way.

You will be putting a pretty good load on an engine hoist, so look sharp and be careful the whole thing doesn't get tippy on you.

Last edited by SteveH; 06-25-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Umm, the floor jack isn't going to work for me since I have the whole thing on a qwick-lift and it's too high for my trolley jacks to be much use. I made a cradle out of 2x4's to sit in my transmission jack to get it high enough to wrestle the trans + Tcase back into place and then bolted the bell housing back in to locate everything back in line, but it wasn't a very good system, I wouldn't want to try that again with the engine added to the mix. I'm thinking since I have the trans and tcase properly located already and the drive shafts are in, maybe I should just make a cradle out of 2x4's to keep everything in the correct position and then take the bell housing back out to reassemble and install just the engine + bell housing?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes, the bell housing needs to be installed, then the flywheel, then the clutch assembly before the transmission can be mated up to the engine.

Having just gone through this, I would take the bell housing, tranny and t-case out. Assemble the whole thing as and install it all as one piece. As Steve H. indicated, once the assembly is in a rolling jack (or two) and hoist work very well to position it into place for the engine mounts. The whole assembly will tilt to the passenger side because of the t-case. A load leveler really helps a bunch as it makes it easier to lift and lower with the weight balanced.

Alternatively, you could do them one piece at a time; engine (with bell housing) first, flywheel and clutch next, followed by the tranny and finishing with the t-case.

If you'd like an extra set of hands, Sunday morning would work for me to head down there. I've got to be back in town by 2:30.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have the engine back home yet. It's still racing season and somehow my machinist thinks circle track engines are more important than my 2FE. I'm just trying to plan it all out for two weeks from now when he promises the short block will be done.

I still hate the idea of pulling everything aft of the block out just to reinstall the engine. 30 years ago when I did this last I remember installing the engine by myself using a safety harness around my waist supporting the engine and wrestling it back on to the tranny while straddling the frame.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Steve,

No need to pull the tranny and T case out. You will need to install the flywheel, clutch and bell housing along with the clutch arm and throw out bearing onto the motor, then install the motor.

Once the engine is in and sitting on all 4 engine mounts, it is very easy to lift the tranny/T-case and slide the input shaft in.

I did essentially the same thing on my 40 when I changed the clutch without pulling the engine. I used a come along attached to my roll cage and lifted the entire tranny/tcase assembly up after adjusting the strap so it was well balanced and level. It took me about 30 minutes to get it lined up, inserted and bolted into place. No big deal and I did it by myself.

If you don't have a full cage you can use a heavy timber across the doors to attach the come along to if you have hard doors.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks Randy, I think I recall doing the same thing on a clutch job on this rig back in the 80's. I want to get the body off to have it Line-X'd so I think I'll just climb under the thing with some 2x4's and my framing nailer and support everything from the bottom. It's all properly aligned now I just need to get the bell housing back out for final reassembly.

Do you think you could come by sometime in the next month with the cherry picker and help a brother out? Beer of your choice provided of course.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Thanks Randy, I think I recall doing the same thing on a clutch job on this rig back in the 80's. I want to get the body off to have it Line-X'd so I think I'll just climb under the thing with some 2x4's and my framing nailer and support everything from the bottom. It's all properly aligned now I just need to get the bell housing back out for final reassembly.

Do you think you could come by sometime in the next month with the cherry picker and help a brother out? Beer of your choice provided of course.
Sure, just let me know in advance so we can plan it.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
30 years ago when I did this last I remember installing the engine by myself using a safety harness around my waist supporting the engine and wrestling it back on to the tranny while straddling the frame.
Manly. yes! Remind me not to challenge you to a caber toss.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"