Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Here are some pics of my Proffitts rear bumper.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

That looks sweet. Too many options now. arrrrggghhh. What to do what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cruzer View Post
Here are some pics of my Proffitts rear bumper.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cruzer View Post
Have Proffitts Cruisers make you one. That Kaymar is way to much $$
No kidding, for $2.5K~$3K I would seriously look at getting someone local to fab it instead.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I've a dual pivot Kaymar on the back of my 62 and love it. It has been drug over some tuff stuff over the years. I think I paid in the 1400 range probably 7 8 years ago.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Best feature of the Kaymar IMHO is the latch for the tire- it stays shut, doesn't rattle much, and you can open it with one hand. In fact you can be carrying 3 grocery bags, a baby, and have a phone wedged between your chin and shoulder and still flip open the tire and get into the back... this situation may not come up for you, but for me it's a regular occurrence. Point being local fab may be your ticket, and my suggestion is look hard at how the thing will open and close, and what amount of latch flipping and pin pulling it may or may not involve. There's nothing worse than rendering a perfectly useful rear hatch and tailgate less useful because it's a pain in the butt to flip open the tire carrier..

Now as for keeping the tire open, the Kaymar system definitely falls short there. I have experimented with additional gas struts, a beefier flip-down bolt deal, but ultimately I have just resolved to using gravity or the tailgate, depending on which way the truck is leaning. After a few years with this method I'm not sure I need to go back to a mechanical way to keep the thing swung open, particularly if that requires a second hand to close it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Again, awesome feedback. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Best feature of the Kaymar IMHO is the latch for the tire- it stays shut, doesn't rattle much, and you can open it with one hand. In fact you can be carrying 3 grocery bags, a baby, and have a phone wedged between your chin and shoulder and still flip open the tire and get into the back... this situation may not come up for you, but for me it's a regular occurrence. Point being local fab may be your ticket, and my suggestion is look hard at how the thing will open and close, and what amount of latch flipping and pin pulling it may or may not involve. There's nothing worse than rendering a perfectly useful rear hatch and tailgate less useful because it's a pain in the butt to flip open the tire carrier..

Now as for keeping the tire open, the Kaymar system definitely falls short there. I have experimented with additional gas struts, a beefier flip-down bolt deal, but ultimately I have just resolved to using gravity or the tailgate, depending on which way the truck is leaning. After a few years with this method I'm not sure I need to go back to a mechanical way to keep the thing swung open, particularly if that requires a second hand to close it.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Having to open a single swing out to open the hatch is a big enough pain already. I would hate to have a double swing out like some of the bumpers have.

The jumbo shot pins on my Slee are nice - when they aren't bound up with dirt or ice. If you pull and clean them frequently, they work well. After a long dusty drive, they collect a film of grit that makes them bind. And more than once, the pin was frozen and I opted to access the rear area through the side door rather than the tailgate.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln