Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Post Recomendation on Stud/Eyelet Adapters

Anyone have a recommendation on reasonably priced stud to eyelet/loop shock converters? To gain a bit of length, and since I have to replace the front shocks anyway, I was thinking to change the front bottom out to an eyelet style.

Or is a better option to try and find some channel steel that is aprox. an inch and a half wide and try and make some, fine tuning the width with washers? Or are there different widths of bushings that are easier to find? The stuff for sale that I have found doesn't list a width or an inner diameter that the adapters use.

I posted some of the measurements I took of the old shocks here incase any of the folks just starting to build their rigs are interested.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...e-heavies.html
Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

I believe Man-a-fre stocks an eyelet conversion bracket and I know Frankies Off Road does. Never checked pricing.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

i bought some jeep ones because they were a lot cheaper than the few toyota i could find and had to major modification because the bolt was enormous. having seen them, i'd make them. all they are is a piece of c channel with a big bolt through them
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I believe Man-a-fre stocks an eyelet conversion bracket and I know Frankies Off Road does. Never checked pricing.
Cool, thanks that helps. At least the manafre site lists the inner spacing for them (1 5/8). The bushing on the stock rear shock looks to be 1.5 inches wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
i bought some jeep ones because they were a lot cheaper than the few toyota i could find and had to major modification because the bolt was enormous. having seen them, i'd make them. all they are is a piece of c channel with a big bolt through them
I'm kinda leaning this direction if I can find some correctly spaced channel. Forgive this newb question, but do the sleeves for the bushing typically come with the shocks, or would I have to track those down separate?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pro-Crap makes them, about $20 a pair. I have 12 in use between 2 80's. They are to be used with .5" steel bushings in a 5/8" poly or rubber shock bushings.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default OME or Rancho?

So I kinda hate to be a noob and post a shock brand recommendation post, but here goes. In my research to try and find a replacement for my front OME shocks, I ordered some of the procomp 9000's. As you may have guessed, they were crap and I am sending them back. From the other brands I have looked at, most would either straight up not fit without modification or would require a bit of trial/error on my part to get the studs adapters. (And may have to go down to a 8" travel on the front to fit the compressed length.) I would have liked to go with the 2.0 fox emulsion, but the 8.5" would require two eyelet adapters at 1-1.5" a piece. The compressed length on them is 14.3, plus adapters = 16-17, which is an inch or two more than I have compression for. I couldn't find a bilstein specs sheet to browse through, only a application guide.

At any rate, I found a Rancho RS9000XL in a 9.6" travel, 15" compressed, 24.6" extended, stud mount top and bottom. Price is ~100 a piece, so slightly more than the OME's.

Since at this point I am going to try and stick with bolt-in, does anyone have a recommendation on OME vs. Rancho? My driving is split about 50/50 onroad winter travel to skiing and desert back road, mini "expedition" type travel with heavier loads. Not much heavy duty wheeling; only what I find when accessing remote places for adventures :-D The adjustability of the Rancho's is somewhat attractive, as the load difference in the cruiser between skiing and desert trips is quite a bit. I've been hesitant to go with the OME's because they old ones lasted less than 2 years, but maybe the new model is a bit nicer? Plus side for OME's is I can get them from Slee, rather than order online.

For reference, the rancho shock I found is RS99014. It's got a 3/8" stud on it, instead of the 1/2 inch.

--Corey