Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default feet forward upside down

so I have a new slee first gen front bumper on the 80...
picked up a warn endurance 12.0 winch...

couple of questions that I've been researching:

1. Standard feet forward mount looks like DC motor on US Passenger
--can I flip that over and functionally be 'ok' with DC motor on US Driver?
--because of the offset on the slee it won't mount up cleanly with motor
on right.

I found this thread and many others

that suggest 'upside down' or in this case more accurately "end over end"
that it will be fine. Warn says 'braking' will be affected...I don't know enough about winches to understand that.

I can't spatially visualize if it is end-over-end if that means it will spool/wind in opposite direction--
I suppose if it does, it could be re-wound...thoughts?

2. No matter if DC motor is on right or left, the clutch lever is basically unreachable.. with feet forward...Can I take the allen bolts out and rotate the clutch side assembly up 90 degrees? The interwebs suggest yes, Warn tech support was absolutely zero help on this, they said "i don't know".

3. It would be nice to also re-mount or -remote- mount the control/solenoid assembly...Warn says this is not a good idea...I don't understand why and they wouldn't really say why. The warn tech guy says if you have to just keep it under 6 feet.... As a follow up to that, I can't seem to find a 'kit' or brackets etc. to relocate the control box at least for this specific winch.

Does anyone have any experience on this specific model and remote mounting of the box, or if not...any hints/pictures/ideas with remote mounting of the box on winches in general?

I know a long post with a lot of randomness, any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

You can remote mount the box, you just need to buy new power cables. I just installed a baby 8K and mount the box on my engine compartment. Keeping the wires under 6' is most likely so you keep the full amount of juices flowing to the winch motor.

I have seen people mount their winches anyway they can, not sure how it affects the brake but they still work. The last one I saw was in one of the hot tubs, guy broke his drive shaft. He winched himself out and worked fine. I know some folks here have turned them, I am sure they will answer your questions for you better than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

The more remote you go, the larger gauge of wire you need. The reason is that wire has resistance and will create a voltage drop. Less than full voltage is hard on a motor especially one working as hard as a winch motor. And IMHO Warn already skimps a bit in that department. Bottom line: sure it can be done. But like Dirty Harry said. .. a man's gotta know his limitations.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

You can absolutely take the allen bolts out and rotate the clutch. I have done this on several Warn winches, and it is a very easy mod. Take out the bolts, and slide the clutch assy out. Rotate to the desired position, and reinstall.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't know if they are the same, but when i took apart my XD900i I noticed that the side with the planetarys and free wheel lever would only go on one way. Didn't seem like you could clock it. If you can clock it , meaning that there is no keying feature, it seems like it'd be fine. I didn't notice anything that would require a certain orientation.

Might be a good idea to just unbolt that side and see if you can clock it to understand how you can mount it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw glean grease in it anyways. It's super easy to take apart and put back together again... i did it in a few hours the evening before leaving for moab this past year.

Also, as a side note.. I agree with bill... the wiring warn uses seems to be pretty light for the duty that these wiinches see. Sure it seems to have worked fine for me for example... but I still think they are a bit light on the gauge. When yo uremote mount it you'll need longer wires... might as well skip up a size or two on the gauge then.

Edit:

Just saw Isaac's post. maybe I had a weird thing going on with mine that I couldn't clock it. Go for it on yours, see if it works!
82 FJ40
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

I clocked my M8000 on the Tacoma. Just as easy as Alex says.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Ping Quigley, he had the 1st gen bumper and a winch installed or drive that sucker over and we can put it in tomorrow.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I clocked my winch 90 degrees and I was able to use unistrut washers (1/4" thick, welded together and painted) to space the winch away from the bumper far enough for the winch to not be obstructed.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

thanks everybody for the responses!

i'm gonna take another look at it after bowagw and see what I can do ...

christo called and gave me some advice too which i think solves the upside down part, and probably will work all around after looking at it some more

and thanks mike for the offer, if I bang on it too long w/o progress you betcha i'll be in the driveway with a big sign that says "make it go fix"
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Mount your "winch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
You can remote mount the box, you just need to buy new power cables. I just installed a baby 8K and mount the box on my engine compartment. Keeping the wires under 6' is most likely so you keep the full amount of juices flowing to the winch motor.

I have seen people mount their winches anyway they can, not sure how it affects the brake but they still work. The last one I saw was in one of the hot tubs, guy broke his drive shaft. He winched himself out and worked fine. I know some folks here have turned them, I am sure they will answer your questions for you better than I can.
Mount your winch, in the hot tub? Then break your shaft? This thread should be in that "other" winch(?) thread.