Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Go to the "bob is the oil guy" grease section and see what they have to say. ..
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

BTW, I drove a truck on Friday night with 30 year old axles.. that thing's ready to go another 30.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

aaaaand again...why does any of this matter?

no one here cares about the right or wrong grease, because most people here are in their axles often enough that it doesn't matter.

maybe you should spend more time identifying the correct clientele for whatever it is you are looking for
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
aaaaand again...why does any of this matter?

no one here cares about the right or wrong grease, because most people here are in their axles often enough that it doesn't matter.

maybe you should spend more time identifying the correct clientele for whatever it is you are looking for
x2.

30 years on an axle? I re pack my wheel bearings once a year. I change my diff oil once, and even twice a year. Probably every 10k or so.

Why? They see hard abuse off road, and there are expensive parts in the diffs. A few bucks for grease and oil is nothing.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Frank, I will extend an invitation to you to attend a club event or a meeting. Be a supporting vendor if you like and donate some of your product for one of our raffles. You will find that most of us are nice folks and don't care to argue about what lube you put where.
Respectfully Farnham, I disagree, and I do not extend the invitation.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default Bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
Hey Francis,

Stockholm syndrome is positive feelings towards captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. We are not in danger!! Go save a bear cub, instead.

However, . . . no axle will live without being serviced for 30 years plain and simple. Your mechanic A and B is worthless. Those bad boys only fit one way in the knuckle, you can't rotate them. The bolt pattern will not allow it, unless you are able to bend spoons with your mind as well. Further all the goop you are attempting to sell will pee right out of the knuckle.

Dr, Schlegs,

The bushing in the spindle hub can be changed, the cost of these replacement bushings range anywhere from 20- 50 bucks,
No axle that can live for 30 years without being serviced,? nope, gotta nasty old Ford with this style axle that is original , that is almost 40 years,
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tranny Frank, I think you should go to Washington, then hook up with those that did the witch hunt on Toyota for the brakes and sticking gas pedals. One more recall on all Toyota's with birfields and CV's should not be an issue. Then we can all put some goop in our axles and have it run out of the wiper seals. I am sure you can convince those dumb asses in DC to go with you on this.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Tranny Frank, I think you should go to Washington, then hook up with those that did the witch hunt on Toyota for the brakes and sticking gas pedals. One more recall on all Toyota's with birfields and CV's should not be an issue. Then we can all put some goop in our axles and have it run out of the wiper seals. I am sure you can convince those dumb asses in DC to go with you on this.
In the mid 1980.s Audi went thru the same situation as Toyota, little kids where getting smashed into garage doors when the car freaked out and went nuts,

Turns out it was all BS. Toyota could be going thru the same thing.
just a thought, this is much simpler, just a type of grease,
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Default practically maintance free for the life time of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

BTW, I drove a truck on Friday night with 30 year old axles.. that thing's ready to go another 30.
I agree, while 30 years is more realistic these axles are described as practically maintance free, for the lifetime of the vehicle, since even 30 years is hard to sell, I will stick to that, and even Kurt Williams will tell you the same thing

I would say that if you could get this snake oil, change the wiper seal assembly once in a blue moon, your good to go,
The wiper seal will get worn out over time, and the discharge will be excessive,

As far as Bob the oil guy, probrobly not going to know much about this axle and not anything about this grease, that was all but eliminated 70 years ago,

You guys go talk to Bob, as far as I know that site could be a mushroom factory,
Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok you can color me disinterested now, there's no way I'd want to forgo maintenance to the front axle and let it go even 5 years, let alone 30. As has been pointed out multiple times before most of us actually like popping off the spindles every couple of years. I'll probably never run Amsoil for the same reason, I just like changing the oil too much to give that up...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Frank View Post

I would say that if you could get this snake oil, change the wiper seal assembly once in a blue moon, your good to go,
The wiper seal will get worn out over time, and the discharge will be excessive,
There is the quote of the year. I think I will post that in as many places as I can google up! :flipoff:
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Closed Thread