Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I had the Extreme Air on Long Grain and it worked pretty good. I had it plumbed into both sliders for air storage. Key to any compressor is storage. Electric comps are always a disappointment compared to belt driven or even CO2! Duty Cycle is everything when comparing elec vs elec. Also, buy the biggest you can get to fit! Matt, since you already have CO2 why not mount it on your spare tire swing out?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Matt,

I have on board air on all 3 rigs. On the Mule and the Gecko I used the ARB HD compressor rated for tire inflation as well as locker operation. I also used a ViAir 2.5 storage tank with each of them. These compressors have a 50% duty cycle which means they can run non-stop for 30 minutes and then they must cool off for 30 minutes. They are sealed so they can be installed in the engine compartment and they come with pressure sensing shut off switches, etc so they fill the tank to 90 psi then shut off. You can also plumb the air intake to the inside of the vehicle to ensure clean air going in to the compressor. The Mule has 37's and the Gecko has 39's which I usually run down around 2 psi with the beadlocks. The ARB compressor with the air tank will fill all 4 to 20 psi in less than 30 minutes, so I have never had the duty cycle become an issue.

On the Meanie it came with a ViAir 450C and 1 gal tank. The 450C is rated for 100% duty cycle and will go up to 150 psi.

I don't think you can go wrong with a ViAir unit. I get my stuff like that from 4 Wheel parts, they seem to have good prices. If you only use it very occassionally and for light use one of the HF units might be OK.

If you want faster fill ups get a compressor and air tank rated for 200 psi, then put an adjustable regulator on the output. If you are operating air lockers you can't go over 90 psi or it can blow out the locker seals.

Which every way you go I agree with UB and suggest you get a storage tank. Even on the Meanie with a 1 gal tank, you can operate the air lockers all day long and never have the compressor kick on.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have had my Quick Air II since the late 90's. A champ. Coupled with the 5 gal tank charged to 100 PSI it does the job.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I've also got a pair of the Red Chili Checker cheapies... with dual batteries you can run one off of each battery to double up. They work ok enough, but if everyone else has OBA and CO2 you'll be the last guy filling up for sure, but park next to them and they'll probably do a tire for you.

IMO don't hard mount it, your engine bay is hot and heat is the enemy.. plus you could toss it in the 40 as backup just in case your CO2 runs out again... I'll toss one of mine in the 80 just in case of OBA failure.

www.gamiviti.com