Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
...Take pictures and submit to Toyota Trails!

great idea, definitely could be a cool little article , the windshield replacement party.
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did not think of article submission! That could be fun!

It sounds like you all will have a fun party. The chances of me driving the 40 down from the Fort with a broken windshield for that would be small...

I pulled my old glass last night. Once I got the bottom edge of the gasket over the metal edge it was ver easy to remove. I am amazed how strong the glass actually is. Someone must have really put their arm into it to put such a break on my windshield. Oh well!

I had a original Toyota piece out of a square 40 ('79 or 80) as a template. It is nice that is one thing Toyota did NOT change pre-'78 to '79 and later. I got a new piece of PPG cut for $100.

My orig gasket was pretty nice. I have heard that GOOP hand cleaner works wonders for restoring old rubber pieces, so I tested it out on my windshield washer motor cover gasket and it seemed to soften the piece up. So I slathered up the windshield gasket with Goop and then rinsed it, now it is around the new glass. I also found some Sil-Glyde at the parts store. I was debating about using that or glass cleaner to lube the opening. I will let you know what works!

I also think I have two tall people to help hold the windshield from the outside while I pull the rope.

Wish me luck!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just found a cool post on MUD about how to make cargo window gaskets for FJ55 for $50.

A glass tech is writing the post and says to avoid silicone based lubes:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pi...ml#post5661439

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Take pictures for the TT article.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
I had a original Toyota piece out of a square 40 ('79 or 80) as a template. It is nice that is one thing Toyota did NOT change pre-'78 to '79 and later. I got a new piece of PPG cut for $100.
That's cool! I will file that one off the the memory banks: One little thing that DIDN'T change on 40 bodies from 78 to 79-up. Suggestion (if you haven't already done this yet), lay the new glass up to either old glass (if it's intact enough) or the frame opening to verify the dimensions and radiuses.

Quote:
My orig gasket was pretty nice.
That's pretty rare in my experience. Awesome score!

Quote:
I have heard that GOOP hand cleaner works wonders for restoring old rubber pieces, so I tested it out on my windshield washer motor cover gasket and it seemed to soften the piece up. So I slathered up the windshield gasket with Goop and then rinsed it, now it is around the new glass.
Another one file file off into the mental archives. Thanks TJ! Have you heard whether GoJo or Fast Orange works similarly?

Quote:
I also think I have two tall people to help hold the windshield from the outside while I pull the rope.
Highly recommended, as I wrote above. I can sorta see how you could do it solo, but when I did mine the advantages of outside plus inside were pretty obvious.

Quote:
Wish me luck!
Best of luck and I'm sure you'll let us know how it turns out. Please be aware that anything for Toyota Trails has to be exclusive and not publicly available on the web or other publications. It is fine to post it in our member's only section, but if an article or specific images end up on the public web or any other publication, it can't be featured in Toyota Trails.

If it does get published, it will then be available at tlca.org, either as a teaser for everyone, or in it's entirety for members. I visited tlca.org (brought to you by Rising Sun and TLCA webmaster Matt Farr AKA "Hulk" here) this evening and renewed my membership and bought some shirts. I have to say Matt has done an outstanding job!

While I lingered, I read a couple of stories from Toyota Trails, downloaded the latest version in PDF format, and enjoyed some of the web-only stories for members only.

Glass cleaner, lots of glass cleaner
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Default Get Paid

Hi TJ, I forgot to mention that if your article does get published, you will get a payment for it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Yep, that's pretty much what worked for me. I left out a couple of details that weren't a problem for me, such as leaving enough rope out to grab onto and not smacking the glass while wearing a ring on the smack hand .

I don't remember if we used tape to help hold the gasket onto the windshield glass, but it seems like one of those things that you figure out if you need it as you go along.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Take pictures for the TT article.
Unfortunately, time was not on my side last night, I did not get pictures.

My #1 priority was getting the glass in. I asked Leanne to take pics, but our little guy was melting down after a hard day of playing, and she couldn't find the camera. I know, I know,

Once I had both neighbors who were willing to help standing by the Cruiser I went for it and abandoned hope of documenting the process.

The good news for those of you planning the replacement party is that this was easier than falling off a log. I think the guys holding the glass in place had a harder job than me. I grabbed the rope (1/8th inch nylon - sold as # mason line) and let 'er rip! When I got to the top on one side I noticed it got a little snug to pull out, so I went back to the other end of the rope waiting for me in the middle of the bottom of the windshield. I ran that up to the top of the other side. I then had my helpers pus the glass down a little in the rubber and worked the top in place!

Very easy and high sense of accomplishment!

A quick test drive last night and I was amazed at how nice and clear the view was vs. my old ratty previous view. I highly recommnd replacing yours if it is getting pitted. Don't forget to replace windshield wipers anytime you put in new glass.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
That's cool! I will file that one off the the memory banks: One little thing that DIDN'T change on 40 bodies from 78 to 79-up. Suggestion (if you haven't already done this yet), lay the new glass up to either old glass (if it's intact enough) or the frame opening to verify the dimensions and radiuses.

Another one file file off into the mental archives. Thanks TJ! Have you heard whether GoJo or Fast Orange works similarly?

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll let us know how it turns out. Please be aware that anything for Toyota Trails has to be exclusive and not publicly available on the web or other publications. It is fine to post it in our member's only section, but if an article or specific images end up on the public web or any other publication, it can't be featured in Toyota Trails.

If it does get published, it will then be available at tlca.org, either as a teaser for everyone, or in it's entirety for members. I visited tlca.org (brought to you by Rising Sun and TLCA webmaster Matt Farr AKA "Hulk" here) this evening and renewed my membership and bought some shirts. I have to say Matt has done an outstanding job!

While I lingered, I read a couple of stories from Toyota Trails, downloaded the latest version in PDF format, and enjoyed some of the web-only stories for members only.

Glass cleaner, lots of glass cleaner
Thanks for all the help Jeff! I did verify my old glass to the new piece and it was a great match. Interestingly enough, my old glass had no lettering or identification of any kind on it.

I do not know about GoJo or Fast Orange. I do know the first ingredient in the Goop is isoparafins.

I was aware of the requirement that anything for publication cannot appear on line before publication in the Trails.

PS: I did not use any glass cleaner, I went dry. The glass practically installed itself.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Hi TJ, I forgot to mention that if your article does get published, you will get a payment for it.
The good news is I think I can mock this process up on another 40 and get pics of that.

I would like to do an article for the Trails!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713