Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun Commander

The preload thing only works if all the stuff is in good condition. You've got a "step" on the OD of the spindle, caused by the bearing being too loose, and your bearings are butting up against it when you try to set preload. With that step, it's next to impossible to get the load right.

Here's the thread from where I dealt with this same issue last summer http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...hlight=spindle

and here's where I think your problem is:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't think bearing pre-load is going to be a factor in keeping the bearing from spinning on the spindle. If a bearing is too loose on one side (the top) it is way too tight on the other side (the bottom)! A loose bearing can burn up just as fast as an overtightened bearing.

The bearing got hot due to low lube, or way way wrong pre-load, then briefly seized and caused the bearing to spin on the spindle. Simple fact is that the spindle is now too small for the bearing.

There is one shot at holding that loose bearing on the worn spindle. Locktite #601 or #603. After that, time for new spindles/bearings.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Since you started this thread Ricardo and I helped Kevin install new inner axle seals in his 80, so obviously in the process we disassembled the hubs and wheel bearings.

I was amazed at how deep the grooves were that were worn into the claw washers on both sides. Yet, thinking back now, there was no evidence that the bearings were spinning on the spindles. I really do think now that this claw washer wear is more a symptom of loose bearings than it is from the race rotating on the spindle.

I would recommend you get new washers for each side and re-assemble everything. As Nak said you'll probably get a better preload set. Then check it again 6 months down the road, I'll bet everything will be OK.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang