Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

And finally, this is the sign at Georgia Pass. It pretty much says it all. Water on this side goes to the Atlantic, water on the other side goes to the Pacific
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Great video and Dj skills. Where was it mounted in your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
Hey guys,
Just finished putting together a video of the ride...make sure to put it up on High Definition...hope you like it...thanks again for letting me participate in a great ride. Enjoy!

TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM

That's Doug I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
What an incredibly beautiful trail! Sorry I can not remember this fellow's name (please help, anyone?), but had the most incredibly awesome restored Oct 1974 FJ40. The only thing that wasn't stock was the Weber, but everyone made it through the trail with little difficulty.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

What an awesome day in Colorado with an awesome group of people and classic iron! Thanks everyone for welcoming me and my son on the trip. It was an incredible day and a great innagural run for the old 40. Put the tires up into the fenders a few times and had a few 'pucker moments', but came back unscathed! I appreciate all the compliments on the way it turned out as well.
Going to try and get up for the Bill Moore Lake run on Sunday too. Hope to see some of you guys then too. Looking forward to many more runs in the future.
(By the way, my name is Mitch and my son is Dillon.)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSROLL View Post
Great video and Dj skills. Where was it mounted in your truck?
In case anybody was wondering, I shot the video on a nifty GoPro HD camera...it comes with all the mounting brackets and I put it on the upper drivers side of the windshield on the outside...my battery lasts only 2.5 hours so I did not get the whole ride...I will have to figure out a power source for it. Thanks for the comments.
K0RUI
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
...I put it on the upper drivers side of the windshield on the outside...
I was wondering where it was mounted because there were a lot of times in the video where I was sure you were smacking stuff, including golf carts and people, on the DS
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I was wondering where it was mounted because there were a lot of times in the video where I was sure you were smacking stuff, including golf carts and people, on the DS
Looks like it ...the lens is wide angle...depending on the format you can get either 170 or 120 degrees of visability...I smacked a few branches on the way...but the camera has a protective case. It was the first time I used it...worked out slick.
K0RUI
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for posting the video Rui! Very cool. And thanks again for the pics. I finally have some posted on my Smugmug account, so I'll post a few here. I've already picked a handful to submit to TT with an article. Cover quality stuff.

A few of Rui's pics:

The day started off with perfect weather and it stayed with us most of the day. We met in Conifer, did some introductions and then headed for the hills. We aired down in Jefferson and then started up the roads headed for Georgia Pass. My dad was visiting from Michigan and had a great time. He had never been up into the mountains before, so being able to go on the run was really cool. He had an awesome time and was impressed with the 40's and also with the great people driving them.

The M&M's start to assemble

Airing Down in Jefferson. Check out all those nice rigs!

Our destination for the day.

On Georgia Pass and heading down the South Fork of the Swan.

The group Re-grouped at the river crossing before heading to the North Fork

As we headed up the Steep long hill climbs of the North Fork we ran into a lot of downhill traffic. I had words with a couple of dirt bikers who were passing our group on a narrow road at high speed and throwing rocks. This guy was a tool.

A few of us had vapor lock on the hill cimb (including me) and it was a real task trying to manage the trail traffic at the top and bottom with several rigs incapacitated along the trail. Thanks to Matt and Mike my tail gunners for helping out at the bottom, and Drew, Rui, Doug and Dan for directing traffic up top.

A great hypothesis was brought up regarding why so many rigs vapor locked. Could it be the high Ethanol content of the fuel we have today? Possible, I think. Probably vaporizes at a lower temp than "real" fuel would.

The group reached the top of Wise Mtn, checked out the cabin, met some goats and ate some lunch before heading over the trails above treeline towards the Middle Fork.

My Dad and I on Wise Mtn.

After our rest stop on Wise Mtn. We headed up the steep climb before the Saints John and Deer Creek trails split off the North Fork. The hill climb was loose and fun. A few of the rigs had fuel trouble again, but everyone made it up eventually. Great Views up there. And check out all those 40s!! Thanks again for taking the pics Rui!

Once we all made the climb, we headed off towrds the Middle Fork, which dropped us back down into the trees and back in the direction we came, making a nice loop.

Thanks again to everyone who came. Great day.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default That G11 is awesome!

man...that canon works well, eh? NICE PICS!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

COOL VIDEO!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili