Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfuss View Post
I know what my vapor lock issues are with the FI, too much heat. I need to reroute my fuel lines to the back of the intake but that costs $$$'s.
Kirk,

I'm not 100% convinced your vlock issue is due to heat on the fuel lines in the engine compartment. The FI rigs I've worked on in the past with this same issue solved the problem by changing the fuel tank plumbing and their fuel pump location. The stock GM rigs with FI rarely ever had vlock issues. If possible, look at a stock GM truck that has the same engine that you have. Look at how many return lines to the fuel tank and vent lines there are and try to copy that as best you can. Most of these rigs also had the fuel pump mounted inside the tank which also helps keeps the fuel cooler. Remember when we started trouble shooting your rig that there was a LOT of pressure built up in the fuel tank. Once we released that pressure and then bled the air bubble out of the pump to engine section of line it started right up and ran pretty good the rest of the day. If it was vlocking due to engine heat I think you would have had recurring issues later in the day when it was warmer and the engine was working harder climbing those long hills. However, if it does turn out to be an engine compartment heat issue you can buy an aftermarket device called a "cool can". You install it in the engine compartment and route the fuel lines through it. The cheap ones you just fill with water periodically. The better ones you route a heater hose line to it and it uses the engine coolant water to keep the fuel cooler.

As far as my rig: I didn't have any vlock or loading issues. I ran premium fuel; I have a stock Aisin carb; I have a stock (but new) mechanical fuel pump; I do not have a carb fan; I do have a liquid heat riser installed on my intake manifold and I have a header versus a stock cast iron exhaust manifold. Maybe the premium fuel made the difference but I do know the liquid heat riser keeps the intake manifold and carb base from never getting hotter than the engines water temp, so as long as the motor isn't over heating the carb stays relatively cool. The after market header probably dissipates heats better than the stock cast iron unit too.

We may have had 4 totally different issues too that were calling "vapor lock". The v8/FI rig may have had fuel tank pressure issues, one FJ40 appears to have had a leaking carb/over rich issue, Ricardo's rig had an air lock between the fuel tank and fuel pump issue, and Marten may have had legitimate heat related vapor locking.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
Thanks for kudos on the Vid, it was my first with that cam.

I have an 1982 FJ40, my carb fan runs while I am driving, I can hear it while I'm idling sometimes. When I desmoged the rig, I made sure to keep the sensor that was attached to another piece of desmog equipment, I placed it relatively close to its original location (facing the exhaust manifold). All I can say is that I did not vapor lock on the trail and have never vapor locked, I have used low octane gas since I got the rig in mid 2009, the fan puts out plenty of air directly on the carb...don't know how well it works, but I doubt the Toyota engineers put a fan there just for visual aesthetics, they must have had some data feedback to come up with an idea of putting a carb fan. My 2 cents...
The introduction of the carb fan coincides with the introduction of the EGR system, which adds a lot of heat-radiating surface area on that side of the engine. The rail of the air injection system is another source of radiant heat. The earlier fans (like on my CA-spec. 1976 FJ40) were up in the front corner, pointed toward all the emissions crap on that side of the engine. The later ones on both 40s and 60s were pointed directly at the carb, and were much closer to the carb.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post

If it was vlocking due to engine heat I think you would have had recurring issues later in the day when it was warmer and the engine was working harder climbing those long hills.

He did have some trouble on the climb to wise mtn., where the family of Mountain Goats were, I towed him the last qtr mile to the top where he repeated the line presure release that he performed earlier in the day and I believe that was the last time.

I run mid grade never had an issue, yet, with the TBI.

97 LX450
Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

I just recently replaced the FP in my 60 because the old one was cavitating and blowing the fuse. The new Bosch fuel pump seems to be working out good. My diagnoses at the time was it was vlocking.

This thread is so EPIC!!

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I used to be about the only blue fj40 in the club... now it is the most common color out there! Very cool dudes, long live the...
Attached Images

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I used to be about the only blue fj40 in the club... now it is the most common color out there! Very cool dudes, long live the...
I got Sam one of those blue matchbox cars off ebay that is a replica of an FJ40. He says "I wish it was green, but it's cool to have one like Drew's."
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I got Sam one of those blue matchbox cars off ebay that is a replica of an FJ40. He says "I wish it was green, but it's cool to have one like Drew's."
There's a new green one that is all die cast. Even has diamond plate covering the rusty rear quarters.

diecast fj40 on Ebay

Then of course, there's the super rare green OEM soft top version.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

^Awesome on both counts. I'd take the uber rare soft top edition! When does production start?

I wonder if the green one is still called a "68 Toyota Landcruiser" despite having ambulance doors and rectangular tail lights
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
There's a new green one that is all die cast. Even has diamond plate covering the rusty rear quarters.

diecast fj40 on Ebay
Wow, that's really cool. I wonder if you can find them at Target or Walmart, or if it's necessary to pay this guy the $15.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Nice photochop!!

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60