Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default where to route ARB copper line in FJ40 rear differential diff?

I don't have a 40, but I have a 40 differential on my bench. What is the best way to route the copper airline inside the DIFFERENTIAL housing to keep it from getting pushed into the ring gear or rubbing on something?
Across the top? 1/4 down from the top on the back? 1/2 way down?

Where is the most reliable, safest place to route it?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by leiniesred; 08-05-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: replaced "axle" with "DIFFERENTIAL"
Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I ran downstairs with the camera last night to shoot a picture until it dawned on me that you were asking about the routing "inside the axle housing"

On the positive side I notice that my gallon container of 50/50 mixed coolant was leaking on the garage floor so I caught that before it made a huge mess - Does coolant eat plastic
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hey thanks for looking none-the-less, Jeff.

Glad you caught the coolant leak.
Pesky coolant bottles.

I also find that older cans of stuff often give up in the summer heat. My worst was a can of undercoating gave up and oozed out and across bay # 1 in the garage.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Okay I'll bite. If you don't have a 40, why are you asking? Planning on beefing up your runner?

And why would you route it inside the axle housing when the usual routing is right on top on the diff part of the housing?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
And why would you route it inside the axle housing when the usual routing is right on top on the diff part of the housing?
The copper line is on the inside of the diff and goes from the locker to a hole in the housing and then to the soft line which is what I think you are thinking about

A quick search and I found this page with some pics...Not a Cruiser diff but doesn't really matter
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

It all depends on the locker and the vintage of the o-ring housing. There are different routings. The ARB manual should have that in it.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff: The differential is from a 40, for a 40, and it isn't mine. I'm just the guy with the tools.
Christo: Thanks for the reply. This is a contemporary ARB with the current o-ring housing. (looks like the ones on my 4runner) It is easy to pick where to start, but not easy to pick how to get to the other side of the ring gear. In this case, I think the ARB instructions, which do appear to be of a typical FJ40 diff, don't seem to indicate the best way to get from the o-ring housing to the hole I drilled in the differential carrier.
I will re-read the manual in case I overlooked a text description of the routing.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
The copper line is on the inside of the diff and goes from the locker to a hole in the housing and then to the soft line which is what I think you are thinking about
I know about that part; I was picturing him routing the copper tubing inside along the axle housing, parallel to the axle instead of directly up to the top of the diff housing. Probably a terminology thing - I consider the part where the diff bolts as the diff housing and the long parts on either side as the axle housing. I could see how you could call the whole thing the axle housing as it really is all one piece.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

You are right, Jeff. Inside the DIFFERENTIAL housing is a much better way to put it.
I'll correct that.

There is a CHANCE that I am about to try to put the o-ring housing on the WRONG side of the diff! I haven't really gone that far at this point. It'll only take a second when I get home to look for the air ports in the ARB differential carrier trunnions. I did find an exterior picture of an FJ40 diff and they drilled the ARB airline hole in the same place I did, by the manual, so no rework there.

This thread may very well be for naught until I post a PICTURE of what I've done. There seems to be a dearth of FJ40 ARB installation write-ups out there. (Probably because there isn't much too it.)