Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Robbie installs the brake rotor as we head for the final stretch before putting the wheel back on and lowering the rig back down.

Of course the HAM guys had their HAM, and it helped bring us the needed parts quicker than might otherwise have been the case, but we actually had cell coverage up there. So calls were made to patient wives, and I was very happy to have a nice dinner ready for me when I got home.

All in all, a very good day. Among the things we discussed is what might have happened if this had happened at highway speed on I-70. It was actually very fortunate for this to have happened here instead of a more hazardous environment.

Thank you to everyone who went on this run with me, I really enjoyed wheeling with you, and especially thanks to the rescue crew of Ken Romer, Robbie Antonson and Steve Brady who took their time, parts, tools and expertise away from what would have been going straight home from Spring Creek and instead came up to help fix Kevin's rig.

Once again:

Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I think there was just a thread about 60 vs 48-inch high lifts. I guess the pic above of Kevin's fix gives credence to a 60 inch.

You guys are great!
What you can not see in that image very well is that it is bowed! But yes, as we clicked to the very top-most holes, that thread was running through my mind.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

An awesome day, even with the problem

Thanks to Jeff for leading, Kevin for gunning, and everyone else for coming out for the fun. And a HUGE thanks to the repair crew. Romer states this all the time but it is true that we don't leave people behind. Even when that means folks from another run have to cut their trail short and hustle over to another run to help out. Amazing

Some pics that I took...Sorry, not much in the rig department but more scenery...This run has amazing scenery!

Airing down...10 rigs to start although we picked up a few more as the day progressed

Name:  The Line Up.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  Mine.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  Views.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  79.8 KB

Seems like the shrooms were everywhere this year and HUGE

Name:  Shroom.JPG
Size:  134.5 KB

Low ceiling over Bill Moore Lake. As Zepp said, it looks like the clouds are touching the lake area.

Name:  Low Ceiling.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  77.4 KB
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 08-09-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Flowers were everywhere...

Name:  Flowers 1.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  Flowers 2.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  Flowers 3.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  Flowers 4.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  136.3 KB
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've never been to Bill Moore Lake...It is definitely worth the trip

Bill Moore Lake

Name:  Bill Moore Lake.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  95.6 KB

The hiking party from a distance

Name:  Hiking Party.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  110.5 KB

Can you see the waterfall? Someday I think I'll have to hike up to it

Name:  Waterfall.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  54.6 KB

The rescued dogs...A HUGE thanks to Chris and Christine for offering to take them back to Denver with them...Hopefully they'll find a good home.

For those wondering...We all guessed that someone abandoned the dogs up there or they got away from the owner. The area is a long way away from homes etc so . No collars and no identification, just choke chains on their necks. They were friendly although wary at first and the male (we think) had a hurt paw that he was very insistent that no one touch.

Name:  Rescue Dogs.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  72.3 KB
TLCA #17037

:

Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

And finally, the carnage.

The pictures don't really do justice to how sketchy it was. You can't tell how steep it really is right there (although Kevin's tailbone probably can ) and the PS that broke was dug in on the uphill side. We had Brandon come down from the top and we attached a strap from his FJC to the 80 as an anchor. We then piled rocks in front of Brandon's front tires and in front of Kevin's rear tires before we started jacking up the front of the 80.

Our initial thought was to move the front end over a couple feet but we abandoned that idea. In the end we had 3 hi-lift jacks on the front bumper (and yeah, my 60" jack is bent - but it came in handy for the first time in 3+ years ), a bottle jack on top of a tire wheel under the axle/diff, and then we also used Kevin's winch that was strapped off a tree uphill on the PS to keep the front end from swinging toward the DS and off the lifts.

Even with all that Robbie and Jeff still ended up having to dig out around and under the PS tire to get the tire to come off. Oh, and putting on lug nuts with air tools makes it REALLY tough to get them off on the trail

All I can say is that the fact that Romer had the needed parts and Robbie offered his expertise was a HUGE help...We'd probably still be up there trying to get the rig off the trail if it weren't for them

The rest of us did what we could: grabbing tools, cleaning parts, etc. and generally trying to keep up with Robbie and stay out of his way

Anna (sp?) decided that since Kevin's 80 was busted that she'd hop in the plush Lexus for a spell - Hey Kevin...after you get the 80 all fixed up, Anna could use a good brushing

Name:  Anna.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  54.4 KB

Anyone that owns an 80, or any off road vehicle will realize that the PS tire is not supposed to be in this position

Name:  Ouch 1.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  74.9 KB]

Name:  Ouch 2.JPG
Size:  107.4 KB

Look closely...you can see daylight between the axle housing end and the rear of the knuckle...not good...The tire/hub/knuckle basically separated from the axle when the knuckle studs let go. Aye Carumba!!

Name:  Ouch 3.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  106.1 KB
TLCA #17037

:

Last edited by corsair23; 08-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I got to meet some new friends (Chris and Kristine, and I can't remember the name of the dude in the red mini that caught up with us, but he was really cool too), and we all got to enjoy some awesome Colorado high country.
I think Barry was in the red mini. I actually did not get a chance to meet him officially but heard a lot of Toyota facts from him over the CB.

By the way, if you did not see my post in the HAM section, my wife is making me take the HAM class and put one in my rig after seeing how helpful it was for Kevin. . Thanks Kevin, your sacrifice is duly noted
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Kind of a view to get a feel for what the scene was like. Generally speaking, we were all Robbie's helpers, and it was kind of like making stone soup. Somebody had this tool we needed, somebody else had some other supply we needed, and all in all it went pretty smooth. It was some pretty good teamwork.

In this photo I was among greatness I had to rest and reflect at this moment in time, besides the fact I was running on empty between the Rally on Sat and Spring Creek on Sunday......lot's of hours with the club this weekend, good stuff.

Trail fix attendees:

Ken, RS Commander
Jeff Z, RS Treasurer
Ricardo, RS Trial report guru
Jeff Z (yeah the other Jeff Z.) TLCA President
Robbie, TLCA Tech editor
Kevin, RS Rally Chairman
Brandon, FJC owner
Then there is little ole me, just some dude that owns a 40.

______
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

that kind of breakage on the trail is literally the subject of a recurring dream I have usually the night before a trip....and it almost always involves the front axle...

simply amazing that you guys pulled that fix off like that.

really neat. really really neat.

:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Both the Spring Creek and Bill Moore runs met at the "bk n dvil" and at 9:30 sharp the ten rigs doing Bill Moore were on their way. While on the trail we were joined by Barry (sp) and Brandon. Here are the 10 rigs as we were airing down for the run.

Partial 2010 Bill Moore Rally Run lineup

Rzeppa

RicardoJM

Dr. Schlegs

Babo

corsair23

secretformula

John

Bruiser

gcmandrake(Matt Lewis)

TonkaToy

I didn't get any photos of Barry or Brandon.
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 08-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.