Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great pics..

One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position. I wasn't aware there was a locked position until I recently watched a Bill Burke video (Robbie loaned me), "Getting Unstuck".

I just picked up my own copy from Christo's shop..

Anyway, Robbie helped me yesterday also in spotting and winching me through a tough feature on Spring Creek.

What a pleasant surprise to see Robbie joining our run yesterday!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position. I wasn't aware there was a locked position until I recently watched a Bill Burke video (Robbie loaned me), "Getting Unstuck".
We left them sticking out so we could bump our heads into them repeatedly as we worked
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Zettle, I figured your kids would like an Anna update. After we got home and I cleaned up and was on-line. I took Anna outside for another brushing before going to bed. I was too exhausted to give her a bath prior. However, once we came back inside Anna ran and jumped into the tube where she gets her "spa treatment". Needless to say Anna got her wish, I know how dirty I felt, I can only imagine how gross she felt.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
We left them sticking out so we could bump our heads into them repeatedly as we worked
And that worked remarkably well I might add
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babo View Post
Thanks to Jeff for leading this run as it definetly got interesting near the end (sorry Kevin!). And thanks to everyone for the encouragement on my first time driving on the trail. Had a great time, great scenery and great friends!
You did AWESOME! For those that didn't know Idelle was following behind me and I didn't figure out until about 1/2 way through that she was sort of following my lines. Well, I was picking out the harder lines where possible and she was right there with me. She even drove right up a steep alternate route/section that I cheated and locked my rear on, while she did it open.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post

One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position.
I did not know there was a locked position or is it more of a safety issue so you won't bump the jack. High lifts freak me out.....sort of the way spiders do! I don't trust either one of them and they are both creepy!

97 LX450
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great report, sorry I couldn't make it. Looks like a lot of fun and "adventure" gotta' love wheelin' with the club, these things tend to be a lot less stressful with lots of helping (and knowlegeable) hands!

:

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Wow. That's awesome. What became of them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I've never been to Bill Moore Lake...It is definitely worth the trip

Bill Moore Lake

Attachment 20193

The hiking party from a distance

Attachment 20194

Can you see the waterfall? Someday I think I'll have to hike up to it

Attachment 20195

The rescued dogs...A HUGE thanks to Chris and Christine for offering to take them back to Denver with them...Hopefully they'll find a good home.

For those wondering...We all guessed that someone abandoned the dogs up there or they got away from the owner. The area is a long way away from homes etc so . No collars and no identification, just choke chains on their necks. They were friendly although wary at first and the male (we think) had a hurt paw that he was very insistent that no one touch.

Attachment 20196
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Rock Stacker

Well… looks like we are a bit late on posting… it’s been fun to see all the picts. We’ll put some up also.

First Off: THANK YOU!!

We had a blast being on the run with you all. We had never been to Bill Moore Lake and it did not disappoint. As others have noted, there was a lot of beautiful scenery with the wild flowers in bloom.

It was refreshing to be welcomed into the club so kindly. Seeing everyone pull together to help out Friends in need was comforting. (Sorry about the front axel issue, sounds like there was a lot learned from the whole ordeal, Christopher now has several pieces of equipment he’s adding to the “we-need-for-wheeling list”). We’ve been going out mostly on our own playing it safe and taking it easy, but after seeing RS in action, it would be nice to expand our territory and go out with the group on more difficult trails. This seems like just the type of crew we have been hoping to find. Surely we’ll be showing up to an upcoming meeting at Stevenson as we live right up the road.

Idelle, I was thrilled to see another lady driving. Knowing that you were driving gave me the courage to claim the keys for the ride up. I’m sorry that I will be working the Saturday of the Ladies in 80s run … but I’ll be keeping an eye out for another trip!

Secondly: the 2 dogs are doing well.

After a bit of a trail ride, they fell asleep side by side for the highway ride back to Denver. When we arrived at Dumb Friends League, they were much more relaxed. We discovered they are both girls. They were kept together in a run of their own and given some dinner. They did not have microchips, as they will be on a “lost and found” hold for the next several days. I checked on them this morning and again this evening – they are adjusting well. The more dominant one has gotten friendlier and seems to have a minor soft-tissue injury on the front paw but is no longer limping. They have been vaccinated and need to go through a behavioral evaluation prior to adoption.

They are Kendra A056007 and Kara A056008 if anyone is interested in 2 trail proven dogs… Here it comes… a shameless plug for the Denver Dumb Friends League: any donations to help with their care would be greatly appreciated http://ddfl.org

THANK YOU!

working on downsizing the pictures for uploading...
Attached Images

Black LX450 '97... with stuff on the front and top... and some bigger tires
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Kid View Post
We’ll put some up also.
Awesome! Didn't Chris take one of that giant mushroom with his hand in there for perspective?

Quote:
First Off: THANK YOU!!

It was refreshing to be welcomed into the club so kindly. Seeing everyone pull together to help out Friends in need was comforting.
You're quite welcome, and our philosophy in Rising Sun and in TLCA is that while our shared enthusiasm for our Toyota 4x4s is what brought us together, it is the wonderful people that make us want to be part of the club.

Quote:
(Sorry about the front axel issue, sounds like there was a lot learned from the whole ordeal, Christopher now has several pieces of equipment he’s adding to the “we-need-for-wheeling list”).
One of the things we learn from each other is the types of things that can be handy to take with. No need to get carried away, but it is helpful to be prepared for contingencies. Kind of like" "don't hike Mount Washington in a T-shirt and shorts"

Quote:
We’ve been going out mostly on our own playing it safe and taking it easy, but after seeing RS in action, it would be nice to expand our territory and go out with the group on more difficult trails. This seems like just the type of crew we have been hoping to find. Surely we’ll be showing up to an upcoming meeting at Stevenson as we live right up the road.
We'll be looking forward to seeing you!

Quote:
Secondly: the 2 dogs are doing well.

After a bit of a trail ride, they fell asleep side by side for the highway ride back to Denver. When we arrived at Dumb Friends League, they were much more relaxed. We discovered they are both girls. They were kept together in a run of their own and given some dinner. They did not have microchips, as they will be on a “lost and found” hold for the next several days. I checked on them this morning and again this evening – they are adjusting well. The more dominant one has gotten friendlier and seems to have a minor soft-tissue injury on the front paw but is no longer limping. They have been vaccinated and need to go through a behavioral evaluation prior to adoption.
Awesome!

I see you are a vet tech, thank you so much for seeing to it that these dogs get proper care and prospects for a brighter future!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/