Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

The 10 psi pressure build and pop you're feeling is probably just from pushing the fuel in the lines back in to the tank. Once it's all out of the lines it blows freely, thats normal.

Where is your fuel filter at? Have you replaced it? It's not likely that you got a bad fuel pump or that it was damaged if the fuel line to it from the tank got restricted again.

I had the same exact situation with my 40 2 years ago at Moab. Idled OK but acted like it was running out of gas at higher rpm. I had replaced the fuel tank sending unit a few weeks before and had used black silicone to seal around it but apparently I didn't use the gas resistant type. Some of it melted into the tank and plugged up the fuel filter which was right before the mechanical pump. So the pump was working really hard to get what little fuel it could. I replaced the filter and the pump worked fine with the float bowl filling correctly.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Wincher

thanks Randy

and great info Mike! I think that will be my next project, rejetting and setting up the carb for altitude.

Question:

It's been a while, am I advancing my timing when I turn the distributor clockwise or counterclockwise?

I finally found the marks behind the windo near the starter.

And: the bad "stumble" upon acceleration, is it a carb jetting problem, timing or both?

Doug
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I think you should focus on the fuel problem for now. Point is, the truck was running fine then started having problems. You blew out the fuel line and replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine again for 3 days until the problem returned. Now the same symptoms have returned. You may have some rust or crud in your fuel tank blocking the pickup tube. Trying blowing the line to the tank again then test driving it. If it runs OK again even for a short time that is a key indicator. The intermittent symptoms don't seem to point to it being a carb problem, hold off on the rejetting and such for now.

My point in sticking to one issue is if you start changing other things at the same time you may never know what caused the original problem.

If you are able to rule out it being a fuel problem, then I would check the distributor. If the timing advance in the distributor is getting flakey it could cause the intermittent symptoms you describe.

Once you know everything else is good and it is running as good as it used to, then re-jet and adjust the carb.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang