Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Labeled gloves stay with rig

I found myself chronically removing my 'trail gloves' from any given truck, so I bought a 6 pack of the cloth/leather gloves at Harbor Freight ($7) and took a fat permanent marker and wrote 'FJ40' on the cloth back of one pair, leaving that pair in the '40, and '4Runner' on another, and 'FZJ-80' on another. Now, when I spot this pair of gloves in the garage, by accident, I know where its home is. What this really means is that I have too many trucks and not nearly enough brain.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
Could someone please answer the question of how much chain and what weight of chain would be ideal?
Sorry I missed that in your earlier post.

How much? tough question, you never really know but in general a few short sections should be enough to supplement your winch cable or straps for extraction or to stablize a rig during recovery. I have several sections in lengths of 6' and 12'.

Chris mentioned Grade 70 (AKA Transport chain), IMO this should be the minimum grade for heavy recovery work but Grade 43 High Test should be suitable for many situations, Grade 30 is too light for anything except pulling a disabled rig on a flat surface (working loads are approx 1/2 of grade 43). If you can afford Grade 80 Alloy great

Here are specs charts for Grades 43 and 70
Name:  gr43.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  116.3 KB
Name:  gr70.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  103.0 KB

Last edited by Tch2fly; 08-10-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: found charts
Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Mike this is very helpful. I guess there is a National Association for almost anything these days. The website is very informative, I'm learning about all kinds of random things this week. I guess I will be looking for chain tomorrow at Home Depot. I have been picking up more tools today, and have a long side front inner axle being held for me. I figure have one bag of tools that gets moved between the 40 and the 80. I even picked up a 1/2 drive air gun, that will fit in the tool bag. (Can't wait to install the ARB's and York Compressors.) Then have parts specify to each rig that remains with the vehicle.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

The 'Trucker Chain' sold at Harbor Freight (with hooks) has served me well over the years. It's long enough, but not way too long. 3/8", 14', Grade 43. They also have a 5/16" grade grade 70 chain. These chains come with closed hooks on the ends and the 14' piece is $20. I sometimes use a short piece of chain around a sharp/rough object so that I don't destroy my nylon strap. Having said that, using a strap and chain together can be deadly under the right circumstances. Always consider where energy might be stored and what will happen if it releases.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
.... I even picked up a 1/2 drive air gun, that will fit in the tool bag. (Can't wait to install the ARB's and York Compressors.) ....
Air tools rule in the shop for big projects. In the truck I used to carry an air impact driver, then a cordless impact driver, but then I put all that crap back in the garage.

My opinion is air tools makes a trail repair only slightly more efficient and it's not worth the added weight and size of the junk, or the hassle of pulling it all out. Sure it can make quick work of a pinion nut or t-case output nut, but in the end you're talking taking a 3 hour trail repair down to maybe 2 hours and 52 minutes...

Your CO2 system doesn't need another reason to run out of gas before you fill up your last tire, and your OBA system doesn't need yet another reason to blow through oil and get hot.. bringing air tools on the trail just wears those down prematurely. again, IMO.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
My opinion is air tools makes a trail repair only slightly more efficient and it's not worth the added weight and size of the junk, or the hassle of pulling it all out.
Agreed, except for the times when the parts are installed with an air gun vs. a torque wrench using the right torque settings - If it hadn't been for Ricardo's air and Steve's air gun we might all still be up there camping around Kevin's 80. The lug nuts were bad enough but the top caliper bolt (which is a PITA to get to while wrenching in the garage) wouldn't budge. Robbie tried all sorts of tricks, some I'd never seen, to no avail. Ultimately it was the air gun that saved the day.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Wincher

Default Thanks, just what I was looking for

Just posted the newb question a few minutes ago. thanks for the good info.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
When I worked in a garage, there was a guy that limped his car in with Heat Shrink around his break-line. Not the safest thing in the world but it worked enough to get him to the shop. Personally, I was surprised that it was able to hold up but he had electrical tape laird over it several times.
thats a damn good idea, i had a complete blowout of my brake lines in the front calipers on my 89 taco, while driving 80 mph on the highway, and aproching road construction.. you can only slow down to about 15 mph with gears alone then you start accelrating again.. knowing this trick would have saved me alot of headace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudo4 View Post
Heck! After Chris's and Marco's fires stories I think I better go get a few extinguishers. So far I've not had any fire issues with cars....a few with boats when I was in the Coast Guard but nothing major.
diddo, and i think come payday I too am going to go buy a fire extinguisher
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default links to good stuff

halon fire extinguishers
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/h3rhalon.php

transit clusters (grade70)
http://www.awdirect.com/cm-grade-70-...k-93169/hooks/

All kinds of cool rigging stuff
http://www.tulsachain.com/
grade120 chain
http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustomp...categoryID=402
Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
yeah, that's a great site..

this is what I carry in the 60 and what is in Allison's Jetta:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/c352ts.php

After using dry chemical extinguishers a few times I'll never use them again... thye are too messy and corrosive. Halon/Halotron is the way to go if you can afford it.

Also, as an FYI you can get old Halon extinguishers serviced still, they just suck them down and refill with reclaimed halon.
82 FJ40