Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
Make a plan and start buying parts. Then some winter work on you SAS swap.
Or be like Dr. Schlegs: Buy stuff, stack it in your garage for 2 years, move it 3 times, throw it away, buy more stuff, repeat process
Randy Rosetta KDěKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you wanna wheel, and have the funds & skilz, screw IFS and never look back. Sorry, my opinion.

$3500-4500 if you fab it yourself and don't take shortcuts. More if you pay someone else. Or you can buy an 80, spend more (maybe a LOT), be comfy, not fit between the trees, and be a clone. LOL
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Or be like Dr. Schlegs: Buy stuff, stack it in your garage for 2 years, move it 3 times, throw it away, buy more stuff, repeat process
Ok that is correct, except for the throwing away part. It's all GOLD. Randy, is a man of action, not much time for talking. Just because I have enough Oil Filters to last me for 54,000's, 20 tubes of palladium, two sets of tunable rotors, an F engine, 32 ARB toggle switches, two York Compressors, a set of OME greasable shackles, and an 80 ARB locker sitting in the garage is no reason to be hating.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

BobInDenver and I were talking last night about mini-truck build costs.

If you want bigger tires, it is $5000

Bigger tires $1000
lift kit to clear bigger tires $500
regear to compensate for bigger tires $1000
While you are re-gearing, might as well ARB those diffs. $2500

There ya go. tires are $5000 to do it right the first time.

Add an SAS on that, don't forget the high-steer, and moving the steering box, and the ram assist, and the bigger steering pump, and the oil pan to clear the front diff...yep. $10,000
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you pay others. I found it is cheaper to obtain the tools & skilz. Many advantages when the inevitable inconvenient break happens.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
If you want bigger tires, it is $5000
Yup, this is about right when I add up OME suspension, 33" tires, gears, Air Lockers, Total Chaos arm, etc. So your estimate of $10K to do SAS is probably not far off when you start running down all the solid axle stuff that needs to be done right. Other than having Christo and Robbie do my gears and lockers, it's all my blood and sweat.

The path to 33" is not difficult and with the SDORI ball joint spacers the performance isn't too bad. Like Jeff mentioned, that is what I ran through the Rubicon. So it's a matter of how much you want to invest in the hobby.

FWIW, not everyone has big bucks invested in their trucks. That $5,000 in SAS money has given me far more satisfaction in Tua Nitrogen/Icelantic Pilgrim/Scarpa SL M3/Santa Cruz Blur LT form than it could have ever doing those last 10% of motorized trails.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Hmmm...I knew there was a reason I liked Kevin...Seems we plan, buy, and store stuff in the same manner

My philosophy is you need to let parts and mods age on a shelf like a fine wine before they are ready
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

A deal is a deal. Fram TG8A Oil Filters for $2.50.

Me :"Um . . . How many do you have?"
Clerk: "12"
Me: "Ok, I'll take all of them and can you look and see if any other stores have any left?"

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have spent more time, money, and effort on my IFS than I care to admit. I think most here think I am a bit nuts and quite stupid for doing so, but I enjoy a challenge and like to try things off the beaten path.

A couple of things I can tell you:

You have an old vehicle, with old components. If you do decide to lift it, add in the cost of replacement ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, and maybe some idler arm bushings.

A skinny 33" tire is best for these suspensions. They are robust, but you MUST understand how to drive them. They are a factory system, and have their weaknesses: if you learn them, you will be okay. I'm happy to discuss with you my experiences sometime if you wish.

All that being said, if you plan to run this truck fairly hard off road, and/or like big tires, you should do the SAS. Running IFS hard requires more maintenance, and patience, than most sane people have. (I wouldn't consider myself particularly sane at this point).

Many in this club run SAS runners and trucks, and I have heard VERY good things about them.

Couple of things I'll point out:

1. A traditional leaf spring swap is somewhat high for short statured folks; kids, for an example. In order to clear the steering, you need ~3" of lift. If you plan on DDing/running kids around, keep that in mind. You may have to do a bit of lifting.

2. The cost up front is a bit intimidating. However, consider that I've spent easily that on my IFS over time, likely more. The cost will get you either way.

3. For moderate trail running, DDing, and camping duties, the IFS will serve VERY well. Keep the front suspension in relatively stock form, and you will be just fine. Remember, a 33x10.5" tire on a stock back spaced rim will fit in the front of these trucks by simply folding the pinch weld over. Ball joint spacers provide lift, but do not restrict travel, and thus you cannot fit any bigger tire under the truck, as the suspension and wheel compress to the very same spot regardless.

4. I have a biased opinion, but its how I did it, so take that with a grain of salt: I always advocate running the truck stock with a good set of stock sized tires for 2 or 3 years. Stock form forces you to rely soley on your wits. It can be a bit frazzling, but you will be glad of it later. I drove my truck for 4 years before doing anything to it. It did have steel bumpers but those were due to accident replacements before it was mine.

Other than that, I'm happy to discuss the ins and outs of IFS with you any time. I've mutated mine enough that I can at least give you a list of things NOT to do!

Cheers, and welcome!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, what HE said!! If you are closeto the south side and want a tour of what a leaf sas entails, just pm me. If you gots bux deluxe, consider a coilover. Number of good kits out there now. Fyi my estimate covered only what you asked for - a SAS.
KDěRCH
Bio Page