Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default F engine Good & Bad

Bad - I bought the 74 FJ40 Blue Mule with a F.5 motor in it that is only 239 cu.in. and didn't run

Good - I installed a JimC Aisin carb and was able to get it to run

Bad - It had no power, low compression and badly worn cam lobes

Good - I did a valve job, installed new rings & bearings but decided to do the cam another time

Bad - Compression improved, no smoke, but still marginal power

Good - Installed new HEI distributor, performance improved a little

Bad - Had to set timing @ almost 30 degrees static to get it to rev up, wrote this off to the rounded off cam lobes, no power at all on the street

Good - Drove it like this for almost 18 months, did fine off road, good torque

Bad - Got tired of not being able to drive it on the street due to no power

Good - Ricardo helped me and we got a new cam installed this week

Bad - New cam helped it run much smoother, lifters can now be adjusted correctly, but only a small improvement in performance and timing must still be absurdly advanced

Good - New cam increased the oil pressure by 10 psi across the rpm range and we cleaned an unbelieveable amount of coked up crud out of the side cover/lifter valley

Bad - Due to the increased oil pressure I now have oil leaking from the dreaded oil galley plug near spark plug #5 in the head

Good - The new valve cover, side cover and timing cover gaskets dont leak

Bad - I shamelessly plugged the oil galley hole leak with JB Weld for now

Good - While waiting for the JB Weld to set up I took off the top of the HEI distributor

Bad - When I removed the internal rotor cap the mechanical advance arms and weights fell out into my hand since both mounting posts were broke off

Good - Now I know why the timing was always goofy and I wasn't getting much performance because I was getting almost zero timing advance

Bad - Now the Blue Mule is out of service until I get a functioning distributor

Good - I called DUI distributors and even though the unit is 1 year out of warranty they are going to repair it for me for just the cost of shipping

Such is the life of an F engine owner. Hopefully once I get a properly functioning distributor in it I will be able to drive it on the street.

Has anyone done the job of drilling out the oil galley plug and tapping it while the cylinder head is on the engine? I read all about how to do it on MUD, just wondering if anyone else has had the pleasure. Oh, and if you have an angle drill I'll probably need to borrow that from you.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't know if the F head galley plug is like that on a 1980 2F, but I drilled and tapped mine (I think I used a 1/4-20 tap). It was super easy - I used a DeWalt 18v drill (not right angle) and the cast iron was very easy to tap. I tapped it quite deep, fired up the engine to let the oil push the crud out of the hole, and then cleaned the threads of oil, gobbed it up with JB-Weld, and inserted a hex allen screw. No drips, no runs, no worries. The hammered-in aluminum plug from the rebuilder was very cheesy and didn't fit tightly - it was pathetic.

The 2F galley plug is angled toward the firewall, but I had no access problems to speak of with my bulky rechargeable drill.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wowsers - not good to have distributor parts fall into your hands. It is good to know that DUI is stepping up and taking care of you. Hopefully it won't take long for the repaired distributor to get back. Have you considered popping in a points dizzy in the interim?

Glad to hear there are no leaks, especially on the timing cover. Sorry to hear about the head plug. On my F.5 engine I thought about, but didn't replace the plug. Perhaps after you get through yours, we can do mine.
TLCA #18941
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have one of these you can borrow.
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Wow Randy, that's quite a story :-)

Yep, it is tough to get much power without the spark at the right time. I run the pre-1968 "Non-USA" vacuum advance distributors, and they work great with the ported Aisin carb. I had Jim Chenoweth build it. He added the port, and also tweaked it special to run better at my elevation. I've had it on there for over 10 years now and it's getting to be about time for another rebuild though.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/