Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Exhaust

JohnRatRig40 is putting a V8 into his FJ40 project and set aside his stock exhaust set up for me to put into my 71. The exhaust on my 71 was cut off just below the manifold and while at idle it sounded cool, anytime you hit the gas it screamed loudly. In addition to that, the exhaust fumes would fill the cab, even with the windows all open. This last factor more than anything else limited the driving we did to just a trip around the block.

Here is what the underside of my 40 looked like, you can see the hanger for the exhaust pipe just sitting there. But there is no pipe or muffler.

Getting to the nuts on the manifold to remove the old pipe was a bunch easier after taking the front fender off. For some reason I was a bit intimidated by the amount of work that would go into taking the fender off, but it turned out to be very straightforward. I took pictures of where everything was and the pictures came in handy when putting everything back together. Here is a shot after getting one of the nuts off on the exhaust manifold. PB Blaster is great stuff.

I wish I had taken a picture of the pipe, muffler and exhaust pipe assembled. Typically the individual components are put in one at a time, and then connected together when they are all in. In this case, they were already put together so it was a bit tricky to slide it all into place. To get the tail pipe over the rear axle and under the body, we had to use the high lift to increase the space between the axle and the body enough to slide the tail pipe over.

Once positioned we were able to do a test fit and was really pleased to see the stock hanger and bracket would work just fine, which was a really surprise. A quick trip to NAPA to pick up one of these (part number 23626) gaskets and we were ready to put it all back together.

Both the manifold and the pipe had accumulations of exhaust debris and would not smoothly mate up. It was close, but not quite right. So with a bit of light sanding and some dremel work, we had a smooth fit of the pipe up into the manifold.

We finished up a bit after dark, so I didn't take a picture of what it looks like till the morning. Here are a couple of shots of the muffler and the tail pipe.

Having a full exhaust, including a muffler is great. It is not nearly as loud and the exhaust fumes are no longer coming up from the bottom of the floor. Special thanks to JohnRatRig40 for setting the exhaust aside and TheBoomBoom for his help in getting it installed.
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 03-02-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add photos and gasket part number.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Getting to the nuts on the manifold to remove the old pipe was a bunch easier after taking the front fender off.
Hint:

Use a long (~12-18") extension and they're easily accessible from underneath. Saves a LOT of time from having to take the fender off.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice job, Ricardo!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock Stacker

do you have a good exaust manifold for a 70 fj40 i need one thx Dan
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

I switched over to a header and gave my exhaust manifold to MAXSDAD - sorry. I recently sold an intake and exhaust manifold assembly to Dr. Schlegs, I don't recall if he was going to go with a header or keep the stock assembly. Drop him a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eaton View Post
do you have a good exaust manifold for a 70 fj40 i need one thx Dan
TLCA #18941