Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Wincher

Default Lilreds first off road in Colorado

With some advice from Steve... Mr. Brady, I bought Colorado Backroads & 4-wheel-Drive trails. So far so good.

The wife and I took a trip over Loveland pass and up to Keystone Gulch, lilred really didn't like the run over Loveland, but once we got on the trail she did just what you would expect. Lilred has 222226 miles on her she has a few battle scars from a couple of trees that landed on her from some narly wind storms up in Washington St. And probably due for some maintenance. we had a great drive up the gulch, some great scenery up there. The wife (Ronda) gets a little nervous above tree line when the slopes get steep and the road gets a little tippy. but this trip wasn't bad, she was pretty comfortable most of the trip which makes a better trip for me. The book described the trip pretty much to the T, and the mileage log was a great tool. I keep hearing if you don't have pictures then you weren't there, So picture will follow sometime tomorrow.

I am planning some upgrades after the trip unfortunately or maybe fortunately for my wallet, SAS is probably not top on my list of upgrades. 80 series springs, 4" panhard drop bar, 1-1/2 BJ spacers, Shocks around, will be first on my list as well as some engine maintenance. I have book keepers approval.

I appreciate all the comments and tips.

Can't wait to get out again... Maybe tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

NicholasAndrews has 80 springs he is looking to sell. PM him to get a price. He has fronts and rears available.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Wincher

Thanks, thats great news.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

He can only use the rears, front is IFS with torsion bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

I wouldn't mess with the BJ spacers personally. Up to you though. See my post in your other thread, but they make the vehicle hard to align, and don't provide room for larger tires except on the street.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Rising Sun member

Pictures!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Wincher

Default Need a lift?

Just a few pic's from our trip up to Keystone Gulch.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
He can only use the rears, front is IFS with torsion bars.
Both go on 4Runner rear suspension. Just depends on the generation.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Cool, glad you guys got out! Have fun picking new trails from the book and going for it. based on the ratings for the ones you've done, and how it was described you'll begin to get a great feel for how "hard" other ones are. you can probably do a lot of the trails in the book with your truck if you just take your time and pick good lines.

nice!
82 FJ40
Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Both go on 4Runner rear suspension. Just depends on the generation.
Picking up the springs tonight from nick, he has both front and rear, I plan on getting the rear for the 95. No reason to change that order is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Cool, glad you guys got out! Have fun picking new trails from the book and going for it. based on the ratings for the ones you've done, and how it was described you'll begin to get a great feel for how "hard" other ones are. you can probably do a lot of the trails in the book with your truck if you just take your time and pick good lines.

nice!
We really did have a good time and we are Looking forward to the next trip. Slow and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
That is what Kirsten and I have most fun doing, just working through Charles Well's books. We find that most trails rated even 'hard' in these guide books are fine for a mild Hilux build. Your Toyota is one of the more capable factory trucks and so it just takes patience to get through 90% of trails and roads. Doing the 80 series coils/BJ spacer suspension I think is a great idea, I'm very happy with the BJ spacers on my truck. The only other thing I'd do first is replace the steps with proper sliders (or at least take the steps off).

If you want a hand with the spacers, I have a couple of extra sets of control arms and I would be happy to donate a set for you to trim and paint. This is A LOT easier and cleaner than trying to work on them on the truck and then you just swap. Then you would have an extra set to keep for spares or sell or give away. I run OME shocks in the front and they are a great match with 25mm Sway-A-Way bars. I also run OME rear suspension (leafs), but for a 4Runner I think the 80 series coils are a fine upgrade, too.

Thanks for the tips. your help is appreciated.