Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Tundra has a strut in the front with a coil over it. Not going to work in the 80. Mounting is not the same as the 80.
Yea, I was thinking of using the rear ones off a tundra, since they already have the stem-mount on the top, and would require only one adapter. I don't have any exact measurements, but the fact I could dump them on the parents tundra if they were way too short is a bonus.

I am a bit unsure of the durability though, as the stem top is I believe ~1/2 inch instead of the larger stem on the OME's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
The comments you heard on the Nitrocharger shocks probable pertain to lighter vehicles. Not sure what all you have on your truck, but on a heavy vehicle they are a better shock than the old ones.
Interesting!. I heard they were just super stiff and gave a really bouncy ride compared to the old ones, but I'm not sure it was 80-specific beta I got on the shocks either. I've got the original OME n73's right now.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here's the response I got from bilstein.

Quote:
Hello Corey,
Thank you for contacting Bilstein.
We make shocks for OEM Toyota, and we make shocks for a performance tuned package for Toyota Racing Development (TRD), the performance division of Toyota Motor Sales. All Toyota shocks are proprietary and we cannot provide you with valving specs. TRD packages that offer Bilstein shocks, aftermarket exhaust, tire and wheel packages are generally tuned more aggressive than the OEM Bilstein Toyota package. Bilstein aftermarket products are performance tuned as well to serve the entire range of the models offered by Toyota.
TRD shocks can be purchased only through Toyota dealerships and Bilstein aftermarket shocks can be purchased through all Bilstein dealers.

Thank you for choosing Bilstein.
Regards,
Larry Eckert
Looks like if I want to go this route it's a big experiment.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Continuing my monologue of data gathering, i went out and did some informal data gathering on the tundra.

Me standing in the bed right over the rear axle caused 3/8" compression of the springs. If my math is correct, this is aprox. a spring rate of 245 lbf/inch.

From one of the forums on mud, the spring rate of the 850's is 220 lbf/inch.

So, seems that the spring rates are fairly similar(with potentially a bit of extra dampening on the tundra shocks), so now it just remains to see if I wanna do a big experiment
Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
So, seems that the spring rates are fairly similar(with potentially a bit of extra dampening on the tundra shocks), so now it just remains to see if I wanna do a big experiment
Sure you do - For the benefit of all those coming along behind you
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater