Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Haku
Default Anybody in Denver have a press and axle jig?

Hey guys,

I'm not a member but have been wheeling with a bunch of you before. Just wondering if anyone in Denver area has a shop press and the jig for pressing the axle shaft out of the rear wheel bearing assembly. I don't have a press, or an axle housing to cut down to make the jig, but would buy lunch for anyone who would let me use theirs. I already pulled the axle apart, and need to replace both wheel bearings. Let me know if you can help me out. I am free all day tomorrow, but could come during the weekend too. I know its possible to do it without the press and jig, but trying to smash it out or try to figure out how to do it without doesn't sound like much fun.

It is going to be a big weekend though, since I'm hoping to replace my clutch, do 4.7 gears in one of my t-cases (I have duals) and reinstall my rebuilt 22re, so tomorrow is prefered for the axle stuff.

Let me know if you can help me out.

Josh
303-263-3111
josh.hallenbeck@gmail.com
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dang. Too bad you already got it apart. I'm doing the very same thing to mine, and just bought a 20 ton press. However, I don't think the jig is actually necessary, but I'm going to try mine without. I was going to offer that I give mine a shot, and if it works, you are more than welcome to it, but since you already have the truck down, I don't think thats going to work.

I'm in Arvada.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jig? you mean a piece of pipe to press the bearing and retainer back on? sch80 gas pipe is the right inner diameter and it is thick enough too.

The I live in an apartment or I want to know how to do this on the trail method:

To remove collar and bearing: remove axle assembly from truck. Cover the brake line union with a rag because it is going to squirt all over. Remove cir-clip. With brake drum still on the axle for the added mass, put a piece of wood on the floor, point the end of the axle at it and slam the assembly down like you mean it. do it a few more times and tada. Bearing and collar removed. To reassemble, you can also tap the bearing and collar back onto the shaft with a nice brass drift. (not a steel chisel)
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Wincher

I already have the axle torn down and the thing pulled apart. I know I can do the "slam it on the ground" thing, but I prefer to do it "the right way" and use a press. By jig I mean someone who cut down a dead axle housing that you bolt the axle assembly to and press it out with a shop press. Here is what I am talking about....the jig being the custom made "special service tool"....

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

I have my daily driver, so I can bring the axle shaft/wheel bearing assembly part to whoever has this stuff.

Josh
Old 08-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I've seen that article. However, I have an Idea that I am going to try first, using just a clamshell bearing puller
and the press.

Generation Dead
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have the jigs you fellers need, and you are welcome to borrow them. My press is only 12 tons though. It was adequate for me but not in all cases! Trey oh Trey 906 Juan tree five niner.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I have the jigs you fellers need, and you are welcome to borrow them. My press is only 12 tons though. It was adequate for me but not in all cases! Trey oh Trey 906 Juan tree five niner.
Muchas gracias....I'll probably be calling you soon. I have to try one thing first. One of the wheel bearings is so loose that its rattling around, so that one might not need it. Forgot there was a C-clip holding it on too. The other side is still pretty tight, so I'll probably need to do that one in a press.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome Bill!

I'll try it my way, then snag yours if it doesn't work. Cheers!

Generation Dead
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Wincher

Thanks a bunch to Bill. We got the axles pressed out last night. First one had a few challenges, but we figured it out (namely that I only put the nuts holding the jig on hand tight and it messed things up, so we had to push the wheel bearing and shaft back in and that was "fun" figuring out. Got it back in though, and it came right out the second time. Its amazing how much force it takes to get those out, especially if its been a while since they came out (if they even have). After seeing that, I am really really glad that I didn't do the "shade tree" method and try to do the slamming on the ground method.

Thanks a bunch again Bill.

Josh
Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think I'm going to make a jig for work, anyone have a dead axle housing I can chop ?