Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
So if you want to come by my shop it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install one of these and test the injectors. If they test OK and the EGR isn't leaking, I'd say go ahead and drop the cabbage on new O2 sensors.
Thanks for the offer frontrange (nice screen name BTW)

I'm under the assumption the EGR is a sealed unit, right? The diaphragm shouldn't let air past or am I mistaken here? After replacing the intake I sprayed starting fluid to see if I had any leaks and if I spray anywhere near the EGR valve the rpm's increase considerably.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Sounds like you got a cracked EGR diaphram. It should be sealed but after enough miles they fall apart. That's your first problem, it sounds like yours is in pieces.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes, sure does. Thanks for confirming that for me. It may be the key to the emissions failures. I'll check it out again and take it from there. Of course you've got me wondering about the injectors but first things first.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah I would still check the injectors just because I bought three different sets from three different sources and all of them were a mess when I bench tested them. I've never seen anything like that with Bosch or Rochester any other type of injector for that matter.

Now I suspect any Toyota injector (and I'm not a big fan of the rest of their FI system either as you may have noticed). My 2FE is a complete redo of the fuel delivery and a aftermarket ECU with a crank triggered ignition. I kept the Toyota injectors, but only because I had plenty and milling the hardware to use a Bosch was too much of a pain.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would like to follow-up after I deal with the emissions if that's good with you. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Sure, no sweat. Good luck with the EGR.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yeah I would still check the injectors just because I bought three different sets from three different sources and all of them were a mess when I bench tested them. I've never seen anything like that with Bosch or Rochester any other type of injector for that matter.

Now I suspect any Toyota injector (and I'm not a big fan of the rest of their FI system either as you may have noticed). My 2FE is a complete redo of the fuel delivery and a aftermarket ECU with a crank triggered ignition. I kept the Toyota injectors, but only because I had plenty and milling the hardware to use a Bosch was too much of a pain.
Do you have a build thread anywhere?
I have a 3FE but am interested in aftermarket ECU that fires injectors sequentailly vs. the gang firing the stock ECU does...

Hijack over!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

No, no thread. I have to get this project done soon, so far all I have finished is the custom tank and fuel delivery, the custom rail setup and the Ford EDIS-6 conversion and the ECM completed and tested. I used a megasquirt controller. The engine still needs assembly, I only just got the 3D toolpath done and tested to eyebrow the cylinder walls to relieve the valves. Next I'm making a custom Hydraulic cam. Should be starting that soon.

You do know sequential fire will have zero impact on performance, right? All ECM's operate in bank fire mode once you are in the engine's powerband. Sequential operation is basically just a means to lean out the AFR during idle so you're not dumping unburned hydocarbons in to the atmosphere when stuck in traffic.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Christo has a set of 3FE injectors for sale...

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=13707
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

You do know sequential fire will have zero impact on performance, right? All ECM's operate in bank fire mode once you are in the engine's powerband. Sequential operation is basically just a means to lean out the AFR during idle so you're not dumping unburned hydocarbons in to the atmosphere when stuck in traffic.
No, I did not know this.

Thank you.

I would still be interested in reading a build about your 3FE when you are finished.

Where are you located?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!