Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
How about an air pocket, did you "burp" the system?
I did, but i dont know if i did it right. I had it running with all the heaters on (front tires on jack stands to raise the front), waited for the thermostat to open and filled the radiator as needed. I did this for awhile to make sure there weren't any air pockets.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

One of the best times to do the bubble test is like pulling Lee hill(it sounds like you may live in that area). When you see the high temps. Pull over(in a safe area), rev the engine to 3-3500 rpms and hold the revs for a few minutes(usually best to have a helper to make it easier). See what you can see.
Anyhow, the other way is to make sure you truck good on coolant, run until the T-stat cycles a few times. Then hold the RPM at 3-3500 for 4-5 min or less if bubbles appear.
It sounds like you burped the system well.
Do you have a stock T-stat in the truck?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

226F is AC cutoff so that is when I would really start to worry

x2 on replacing the oil in the fan clutch (although I have not done that yet myself) vs. just filling it up. Lots of opinions on MUD re: this. Tools R Us seems to have done some pretty extensive testing and has come to the conclusion that the new blue hub fans aren't as good as the old ones with the stock fluid and therefore really need 10K+ CST fluid depending on where you live. IIRC they are running 20K CST + down in AZ.

Your in town temps are pretty close to mine although with the hot weather I've been hitting 200-202. A month + ago I hit 220F heading up I70 in the hot afternoon temps. I've also installed an aux fan but Robbie suggested that straightening the fins on the AC condenser (or is the radiator?) would have helped just as much. If yours are boogered it might be worth the time to buy a radiator comb and straighten them.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
One of the best times to do the bubble test is like pulling Lee hill(it sounds like you may live in that area). When you see the high temps. Pull over(in a safe area), rev the engine to 3-3500 rpms and hold the revs for a few minutes(usually best to have a helper to make it easier). See what you can see.
Anyhow, the other way is to make sure you truck good on coolant, run until the T-stat cycles a few times. Then hold the RPM at 3-3500 for 4-5 min or less if bubbles appear.
Ok i'll go try that today and see if i get any, lee hill has been one of my main test roads. The t-stat is stock, i believe it opens at 185
Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
226F is AC cutoff so that is when I would really start to worry

x2 on replacing the oil in the fan clutch (although I have not done that yet myself) vs. just filling it up. Lots of opinions on MUD re: this. Tools R Us seems to have done some pretty extensive testing and has come to the conclusion that the new blue hub fans aren't as good as the old ones with the stock fluid and therefore really need 10K+ CST fluid depending on where you live. IIRC they are running 20K CST + down in AZ.

Your in town temps are pretty close to mine although with the hot weather I've been hitting 200-202. A month + ago I hit 220F heading up I70 in the hot afternoon temps. I've also installed an aux fan but Robbie suggested that straightening the fins on the AC condenser (or is the radiator?) would have helped just as much. If yours are boogered it might be worth the time to buy a radiator comb and straighten them.
Where do you get fluid for the clutch? Does Toyota sell it? I'll look at the condenser and see, i have power washed it a few times to make sure there wasn't any debris in there.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Cruiser View Post
Where do you get fluid for the clutch? Does Toyota sell it? I'll look at the condenser and see, i have power washed it a few times to make sure there wasn't any debris in there.
You can get it from Toyota or from an RC shop. Go in and ask for 10,000 CST silicone oil.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Cruiser View Post
Make sure if you go to a hobby store you go to hobby TOWN and not hobby LOBBY. I tried hobby lobby first and its the arts, crafts, material store. Hobby Town will have the oil. :\
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Just went up lee hill. Got it up to 215F (AC on) and pulled over and had my dad rev it to 3k while i checked the overflow. After a few min of no bubbles i called it good.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
You can get it from Toyota or from an RC shop. Go in and ask for 10,000 CST silicone oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Make sure if you go to a hobby store you go to hobby TOWN and not hobby LOBBY. I tried hobby lobby first and its the arts, crafts, material store. Hobby Town will have the oil. :\
Boulder Toyota and Mountain states dont have so ill go check Hobby town. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

it's the oil that goes in the little shocks for the RC cars if they look at you funny when you ask.
82 FJ40