Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default R&P install kit ?

I'm just Pre planning and testing the waters, is the install kit worth the extra $100 when Installing new ring and pinions? Expectually since there is nothing wrong with the bearings that are In there now.

Second : I'm sure i should just search this. But thoughts on the solid pinion spacer ..
Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

The school of thought is, if you have it torn down this far it's better to play it safe and replace the bearings to make really sure they are OK and to get the best tolerances when the assembly is complete.

If you don't use a solid pinion spacer then you end up using a crushable one that is set by the amount you torque the pinion nut. When under extreme torque load the flange/pinion itself can press inward further crushing the spacer and eventually increasing the backlash on the pinion to the ring gear. This can lead to premature gear failure.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

thats pretty much it. definately get new bearings...you want to avoid any unnecessary problems down the road that could have been avoided

as far as the spacer, I wouldn't set one up without them. Its 100x easier for the guy who doesn't set them up for a living. If its not right, pull the pinion nut off and re-adjust it. If the pre-load is wrong with the crush sleeve and its too far crushed, you have to get a new one.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well I do set them up for a lving, but I'm just doing what the customer wants. And it's really nothing for me to take it back apart. If the bearings do fail. Id love to buy the bearing kit but its a deffent money issue. Well see when it comes to actually buying them. I might just buy the r&p for the rear. W/ bearings for the rear. Install them so I can drive my 35" and then just not go 4wheeling "in 4" untill I get my fronts.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Most of our rigs have more than 75k on 'em. Yeah the bearings are likely still good but they do fail, especially the pinion bearings. You are likely to put more preload on the carrier bearings too, to minimize ring deflection. Easy to get back in there, but on the trail, not so much (DAMHIK).

I like spacers. High loads don't change the preload so much as slightly over crush the crush sleeve resulting in a loose pinion nut over time. But really, no idea on the frequency of incidents. Lots of guys like the crush sleeve fine. Given a long enough cheater bar and solid vise, I find them easier. Just go slowly on upping the preload. Multiple pinion nuts not needed due to boogered threads.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did mine with the crush sleeve the last time and I wish I had done the solid spacer. Seems like it's be easier to work with after it was all set up. That crush sleeve works OK, but I have had two loosen up on me (probably due to my other drive line issues I have since solved) and it'd be nice to not have to worry about that. Also, the crush sleeves are kinda one shot and you're done type of thing which I don't dig.

I'm no diff expert by any stretch though.... I have only ever done just mine (with lot's o help) and watched a hand full get done.
82 FJ40