Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Iron Chest 9/5/10

Big thanks to Randy for getting me out on the trails when I was Jonesen because I had to cancel my Ouray trip. There were 5 rigs all together Meanie, B Mule (driven by Randy's daughter), a Blazer (driven by Randy's son-in-law), Matt Farr and myself. We started with Iron Chest before running Grizzly Lake, I will post a separate trip report for that trail.

Random pictures.
Attached Images

97 LX450
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Few more....rock garden is just as fun going down because you can drop over bigger rocks than you did on the way up. What makes that rock garden fun, all of the rock are moving and shifting as you drive over them since the majority of the rocks are bowling ball size.
Attached Images

97 LX450
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Thanks to Randy and family for setting up this run. I jumped in at the last minute, and I'm very glad I did.

We ran both Iron Chest and Grizzly Lake. With five well-equipped vehicles, we made good time on both trails. We ran Iron Chest first, and it was the easier of the two trails. A stock 4WD vehicle would struggle a bit, but anything with a locker and 33" tires would be fine. The beginning section has a long rock garden -- after that, the rest of the trail is pretty easy. You end up at the Iron Chest mine above tree line. We stopped and had lunch there.

Pics:

Randy's daughter Kim was at the wheel of the venerable Blue Mule. Here she takes the toughest line in the rock garden.

Steve Brady took the tough line as well. His 40 is very photogenic!

Dee and Randy's "Meanie" at the Iron Chest mine, our lunch stop.

Our group at the top of the trail.

There are some narrow shelf roads on the trail. Thankfully, the wheeling here is not too technical. This would be a bad spot to run into a group headed the other direction on the trail.

Poser shot.

Coming back through the rock garden.

The group in the rock garden, waiting for the group in front of us to clear out. The traffic on the trail was surprisingly light.

Here's just some of the rock garden. This was some good fun. We should definitely run this trail again.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.