Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Opinon's needed:

Thinking I need a hand held with external antenna for the Tundra so I have communication to and from the trail. What would you suggest?
Steve...I'd probably put this in its own thread or a handheld thread vs. here

That said...Is the radio in the 40 crossband capable? If so, you could go inexpensive on the handheld and use the radio in the 40 to "reach" out. The handheld in the Tundra would be ok but travelling to Moab for instance, you'll be very limited (for a HAM) on who you can hit. You'll hear people a lot that you can't talk with. I ran the VX-7R with an external antenna in the LX for a year + and it was great for trail use...Not so good for driving to/from trails as the reach was limited. Given the size of the tundra and spots I'm sure you could hide the radio, I'd be inclined to get a mobile rig and install it vs a HT in there. Cost wise will probably be about the same, maybe even less depending on which HT vs. which mobile radio you might decide on.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Steve...I'd probably put this in its own thread or a handheld thread vs. here

That said...Is the radio in the 40 crossband capable? If so, you could go inexpensive on the handheld and use the radio in the 40 to "reach" out. The handheld in the Tundra would be ok but travelling to Moab for instance, you'll be very limited (for a HAM) on who you can hit. You'll hear people a lot that you can't talk with. I ran the VX-7R with an external antenna in the LX for a year + and it was great for trail use...Not so good for driving to/from trails as the reach was limited. Given the size of the tundra and spots I'm sure you could hide the radio, I'd be inclined to get a mobile rig and install it vs a HT in there. Cost wise will probably be about the same, maybe even less depending on which HT vs. which mobile radio you might decide on.
Oooops, my bad.....I see the handheld thread now. Thanks for the advice, Jeff.

97 LX450
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yaesu FT 3000 HAM radio - $180 (Aurora)

The Yaesu FT-3000M is the only amateur 2 meter FM mobile with 70 full watts of power. Other highlights: 81 memories, twin cooling fans, menu programming, four power levels (70/50/25/10 watts). Wideband receive covers 110-180, 300-520 and 800-900 MHz (less cellular). The sub receiver allows split and full-duplex cross band. The easy-to-read display indicates the complete status of the radio.

The supplied MH-36A6J hand mic includes three programmable keys and can be used for direct frequency entry. It is backlit too! This radio is PC programmable using the optional ADMS2D programming kit. The FT-3000M is MIL-STD 810 tough. The rugged case is: 5.5 x 1.6 x 7.1 inches 2.8 Lbs (140x40x180 mm 1.25 kg). This radio requires 13.8 VDC at 15 amps. Click here for specifications.

Features
81 Memories
70 Watts Output
DCS
Backlit DTMF Mic
Spectrum Scope
CTCSS Encode
Alpha Numeric LCD
Smart Search
Odd Offsets
ARTS™ Auto-Range Transponder System

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Kenwood ham radio HT TH-6 Great radio - $150 (englewood)

I am selling my extra HT kenwood th-6 ham radio. comes with factory battery and charger. Cell phone died and need new one . Local cash sale only. Has been reset and ready for use.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communicat...rtables/TH-F6A

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

YAESU VX-5R (ham radio) - $125 (Lakewood CO)

YAESU tri-band HT complete with standard accessories, including manual & original box

Optional accessories included as follows:
AC & DC chargers
external speaker/microphone
long wire antenna
mobile antenna adapter

Shipping available at your cost

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm....Wonder if Brady is still looking for a HT for the Tundra?

What's the scoop Dave on the FT 3000? Is it a fairly durable radio for use in less than ideal conditions, i.e. a 40?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Hmmm....Wonder if Brady is still looking for a HT for the Tundra?

What's the scoop Dave on the FT 3000? Is it a fairly durable radio for use in less than ideal conditions, i.e. a 40?
Yeah, I dunno much about the FT-3000 other than what I found on the web. Looks like it would be a fine radio, roughly positioned between the current FT-7900 and FT-8800 in capability with the exception of available memories. It is probably 10 year old or so. I was thinking about contacting the fella. BTW, I don't think it does a separated face, though. It's wide band RX, 2m TX, 70W. Looks like a nice display and I think it does dual RX.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Prices are fair but not super spectacular. A new ATAS-120A goes for about $325 or so. The FT-857 is new about $850. I think he's actually quite high on the power supply. A brand new Astron SS-25 goes for $100.

Yaesu FT-857D & ATAS-120A - $950 (Trinidad/Denver)

I have a used Yaesu FT-857D with ATAS-120A antenna, and Radio Shack 25amp switching power supply. I have homemade separation cables but no bracket, no long power cable, no owners manual. All three are used and have cosmetic scratches etc. but otherwise work 100%. The 857D does have a short power cable with Anderson Powerpoles so you can power it anyway you like. $950 shipped for all 3, or separately $650 shipped for the radio, $250 shipped for the antenna, $100 shipped for the power supply. I can also meet you most anywhere along the I-25 corridor from Longmont to New Mexico. If you would like to meet the price would be $900 for all 3 items.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yaesu VX-5R Ham Radio Tripple Band, GREAT condition - $100 (Parker, CO)

I'm posting my Yaesu VX-5R Tripple Band HT. I bought it a few years ago and maybe used it 10 times, I ended up not doing much VHF Ham Radio and didn't have much need for an HT. It's as it comes from the factory, with no modifications. I have the original antenna and power supply, and a portable hand mike for it. It comes from a smoke free home and I kept it stored for the last year in my home office. It's a solid radio and it's size is perfect for handheld/portable use.

A similar setup is going for over $150 on ebay, but I am willing to negotiate on price, I take cash only.

Please email with any questions!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yaesu VX-5R Ham Radio Tripple Band, GREAT condition - $100 (Parker, CO)

I'm posting my Yaesu VX-5R Tripple Band HT. I bought it a few years ago and maybe used it 10 times, I ended up not doing much VHF Ham Radio and didn't have much need for an HT. It's as it comes from the factory, with no modifications. I have the original antenna and power supply, and a portable hand mike for it. It comes from a smoke free home and I kept it stored for the last year in my home office. It's a solid radio and it's size is perfect for handheld/portable use.

A similar setup is going for over $150 on ebay, but I am willing to negotiate on price, I take cash only.

Please email with any questions!
Presuming that's in decent shape, that's a solid deal on a solid radio. Anyone who's thinking hey maybe a HT would be cool to have should go make this guy an offer.

www.gamiviti.com