Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Lug Nuts for FJ40

So in lieu of the open lug nuts on my FJ40, I was thinking of changing them over at some point to an acorn style lug nut (with a conical seating surface). Part of this reason is the threads on my studs get dirty, are exposed to the atmosphere and road conditions, and generally provide a lot of resistance to getting the lug nuts on and off, and are slightly corroded. On my red truck and on my Tundra, the lug nuts are easy to spin on and off by hand (once I break them free), and the studs are in better condition, because the nuts protect them.

So my question is, as I'm switching over to the new style of nuts, what kind of stud cleanup could/should I do to reduce the corrosion, and what kind of lubricant (if any) should I use to help keep the threads in good condition? A small amount of antisieze?

And just checking, I think the thread size is M12 x 1.5, is that correct? Is that the same for most/all of the other 6 lug Toyota trucks? I know some have the conical acorn style nuts (like the pickups), and some have the washer type (like 80 series Cruisers, 1st gen Tundras, etc.). Would Toyota have acorn style nuts for FJ40s, or are the open style nuts OEM for FJ40s?

Anyone have any input?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Threads are M12x1.5 on my truck. Mine used a 21mm socket from the factory, but my aftermarket lug nuts use a 19mm.

I put a very small amount of anti-seize on my wheel studs. However there is a legitimate debate over this for a couple of reasons. First, you don't want the lug nuts coming off and anything that reduces friction on the threads does increase the chances that a lug nut can loosen up. Second, you have to be aware that with any thread lubricant or thread lock that the torque value changes down usually. So putting anti-seize on your wheel studs pretty much guarantees that Discount will over-torque your lug nuts.

If your wheel studs are corroded badly I would consider running a die down them to clean the threads and then with closed lug nuts you should only need to hit them with a wire brush in the future. If they are badly corroded, replace them?

BTW, the OE wheels don't necessary like aftermarket conical lug nuts, so don't assume just because they are both conical that the angle of the cone is the same. McGard does not recommend their lug nuts with stock wheels, for example.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun member

Thanks Dave, yes my studs don't need really anything but the wire brush treatment or a die to clean them up, but I was just worried about the next corrosion cycle being sped up by shiny white metal with nothing to protect it. And good point about the angle of the cone possibly being different, didn't think about that.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Thanks Dave, yes my studs don't need really anything but the wire brush treatment or a die to clean them up, but I was just worried about the next corrosion cycle being sped up by shiny white metal with nothing to protect it. And good point about the angle of the cone possibly being different, didn't think about that.
Forgot to mention that you are right, my truck's original steel wheels used closed end conical lug nuts and so they might be a source for your FJ40. I could not use them with the American Racing wheels I have now, though.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Lug nuts for your 40

Hello Matt, Toyota OEM open end lug nuts came stock on US 40's with hub caps, and on US Hi-Lux pick-ups (79-80 Sport Truck) with the same hub caps. The rims and lug nuts are the same. Pick-ups and LandCruisers here starting in 1981 no longer were equiped with those well known chrome hubcaps. I believe at that point the lug nuts were capped. Lugs and nuts otherwise un-changed, rims too on some rigs. The same 5 1/2 x 15 clipless wheels through 1984 on Pick-ups. I believe capped lug nuts should be used on trucks w/o hub caps to keep the crud out of the threads. It seems to me Toyota felt that open lug nuts were appropiate with hub caps, those old chrome hub caps do fit tight. I use a little anti-seize either way and always while listening to ANTI-PASTI !
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I always use anti-sieze on all my lug nuts too....
82 FJ40
Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun member

Cool, thanks Dean

And thanks Marco
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I use anti-sieze also. And the minute I get home from buying new tires, I loosen and re-torque all of mine myself because I don't trust tire places to do it right.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/