Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

I did some checking a while back and Will see if I can find the reports that show the effectiveness. I'm not an advocate of emissions testing but was surprised when I read the EPA report. Prior to living in CO I lived in MN and they shut the program down when their testing showed it hadn't helped at all.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

If Air Care Colorado was about air quality, why then if you throw enough money at a failing car they can eventually give you a waiver? Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If Air Care Colorado was about air quality, why then if you throw enough money at a failing car they can eventually give you a waiver? Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.
I believe they found that the vast majority of cars that failed could be made compliant if X dollars were spent to repair it. Thus they set an upper limit that would fix the vast majority but not force the isolated case into bankruptcy by forcing them to spend too much on repairs or replacing the vehicle. It must be accidental I'm sure since government never looks out for the little guy
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I believe they found that the vast majority of cars that failed could be made compliant if X dollars were spent to repair it. Thus they set an upper limit that would fix the vast majority but not force the isolated case into bankruptcy by forcing them to spend too much on repairs or replacing the vehicle. It must be accidental I'm sure since government never looks out for the little guy
How about not spending $25 to jump through the hoops at all? That might be nice to leave in the bank, you know, not just for the poor little guy but everyone. Pollution isn't caused by varnished carbs and bad ignition points anymore, cars are a lot different now than 1982. The cost limit is $715, BTW. That isn't chump change.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.
That's it Dave, make those that can least afford an emissions compliant vehicle walk. It may be a difficult concept to grasp but repairs of $750 does effectively remove cars from the road but still allows some, who can least afford it, an alternative to buying a new used car that would probably fail too.