Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Trail Ready

Default Optima battery hissing/venting

I have a 1.5 year old Optima Red Top (34R) in my 4Runner and noticed a hissing sound coming from it after driving it home on Friday.

The 4Runner had been sitting in airport long-term parking for 5-days. I drove it home Friday and when I parked it, noticed a hissing sound coming from the engine bay. After checking it appeared to be coming from the vent nearest the positive terminal.

Is there something I should be concerned about or is this normal and I have just never noticed it before?

Thanks for the help.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Rising Sun Commander

is it really the battery? Pretty common to hear a hissing from the charcoal canister.. which is near the battery obviously.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Rock Stacker

Does it stink? Check the voltage across the battery while the truck is running. Venting gas can be a sign of overcharging. A strong sulfur smell is a sure sign of overcharging.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
is it really the battery? Pretty common to hear a hissing from the charcoal canister.. which is near the battery obviously.
In the 4Runner it could be the brake accumulator but that is more of a buzzing sound and is closer to the back of the engine bay. I put my ear fairly close to the battery and the sound appeared to be coming from that positive-side vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShoe View Post
Does it stink? Check the voltage across the battery while the truck is running. Venting gas can be a sign of overcharging. A strong sulfur smell is a sure sign of overcharging.
Didn't notice a smell and didn't notice anything visually (any kind of colored smoke). I don't have a voltage meter because I am an electrical idiot .

Worst case, if the battery is indeed overcharging, is it safe to hook the battery back up and run it to check the voltage? Am I correct in assuming that an overcharged battery will mean I need to plan on a new primary battery this week.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Lance,

My old Red Top in the 40 started making the same noise when I would charge it. Not long after that it wouldn't take a charge anymore. I've written off Optimas (at least Red Tops)...I've had 3 in my 40s and none have lasted more than 2-3 years. Granted, I'm pretty hard on them as the rig isn't run much so they sit idle alot.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Lance,

My old Red Top in the 40 started making the same noise when I would charge it. Not long after that it wouldn't take a charge anymore. I've written off Optimas (at least Red Tops)...I've had 3 in my 40s and none have lasted more than 2-3 years. Granted, I'm pretty hard on them as the rig isn't run much so they sit idle alot.
Thanks Jeff. I figured the battery was probably on its way out based on what I have read here and other sites. I have had an Odyssey PC1500 sitting in my garage for the past 6-months for a dual battery set-up...time to figure out a hold-down setup and use that as the new primary in the 4Runner. Hopefully Christo has one of the Odyssey-specific chargers on the shelf...I'm sure it needs a charge.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

We had one of these red tops do this on top of Kingston Peak and left us stranded up there until we could get down to Idaho Springs and get a new one from CarQuest. The guy there said they have had a lot of these go bad lately and trying to warranty them is useless as they are no longer around.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Much like Jeff, I only got 2-3 years out of my redtop optimas in the 1990s too. Stopped takin' a charge.

Back to good old lead acid. I abuse the crap out of mine winching, and they boil, and spill and sit totally dead in a frozen storage lot for a few weeks...and they keep on working for about 5 years.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Trail Ready

I'm taking the 4Runner to a trusted shop tomorrow to get the alternator checked.

I'm wondering if I can still use the battery that vented for the drive down if it is still holding a charge. If not, I'll need to pull one of the batteries from the 100 to get down to the Springs.

Ben at Slee said my Odyssey PC1500 still had 95% charge when they checked it for me on Monday. Not bad for sitting in my garage for 6-months.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToy View Post
...trying to warranty them is useless as they are no longer around.
Optima is no longer around? They still have a website.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.