Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Insurance

Well just a short update on some things. It does look like we will be OK with all the stuff going on with the insurance company. One never thinks you will need it on such a large scale. I mostly at this time wanted to share some information. If you have a couple of insurance companies (Like us, we have American family for home, usaa for auto), or even just one, with a few policies.
It may be good to review your policies to see what you actually have. My home owners policy will not cover personal owned and operated autos(It states it in a real clear way) and accessories (all my words, not legal description). It was up to me to add a ridder or carry full coverage on all autos. Well what fell through the cracks, winter tire and rims and my off wheeling rims and tires, emission rims and Tires I had. So that is the Bad. (I will get a couple of sets out of the auto insurance company for the vehicles we have full coverage on).
The good, my home owners insurance cover so much else, I am not unhappy at all with the way I am being treated. The process has been not as fast as I would like, but considering how many others have been effected. I do think the over all process is going fast.
And while the tires(for the Land cruiser and the saab) and such are not covered, it will all work out as replacement value on some things will cover the cost of new tires and rims(I believe).
I will start another thread on help for us at home. The house is in good shape now, the insurance company is good with it and we now have to get the mortgage company involved with it all (some convoluted process mortgage companies have some agreement with the insurance companies to protect their investment). So this week I will be working to get a cruiser done, and working with the mortgage company and the insurance company.
Maybe this coming weekend, I can get started on the roof and clean up.
We actually may have power by mid week to friday.
Already contacting a couple of companies about a building on our property to replace the 3 we lost(1 big one, 2 smaller ones).
Again, review your policies or have your agent come to your house so you can full understand what is in your policies and what you are covered for and not covered for. It seems like there is ridders for everything, just depends on what you want to cover.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

something for all of us hobbyists to consider is our non running vehicles and their parts. i learned when a friend's garage caved in that tools, work benches, etc were all covered, but his cruiser wasn't, even tho it was not registered, he needed comp car insurance for it. talking to my agent, he confirmed that my 55 and my 45 in the garage would not be covered if something happened to my garage. also, the parts that aren't even on them would not be covered since they are for a vehicle. hhhhhmmm, all those transfer cases are now jigs that makes them tools and tools are covered
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

A phone call with my friend Bruce won't cost you a penny and I am sure will provide valuable information - even if it only confirms you are doing the right thing.

For the rest: my friend is a public adjuster. he represents people against insurance companies.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Umbrella policy on top of home insurance may help in this scenario.
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds good Robbie. Glad things are sorting out, sorry you lost your off-road set.

I have a set of FJC 7x16 factory OEM alloys, I am not using. They are taking up space in my garage. Not sure they will work with an 80 series but they are yours if you want them, maybe that way you can use the insurance money for other stuff vs. wheels. let me know. I will bring them up to the house or to the next meeting.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Robbie,

Just curious why not USAA for home and auto?

I have them for both, and thankfully never needed them.

I hear it is hard to beat USAA, so just wondering what the benfit of using American for home?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Wincher

I was an homeowner and auto insurance adjuster for many years.

The advice of reviewing your coverage on a semi regular basis is valuable advice. I would add that every so often its important to take pictures of the contents of your home. When you're dealing with a catastrophic loss it's very easy to forget what you own.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Saw the local news a few nights ago, looks like Chubb has a fire rescue program as an optional part of their coverage, they sent in a private/certified fire crew with engine and saved all but 3 of their customers that had this selected coverage.

Robbie did you see this news report? Wondering what local folks think of that now and if other insurance companies have such a coverage option.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com