Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Wincher

Default 1997 80 series axle rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding the front axle in my LC and have a few questions. 1st when I pulled the birfields out I never tuned them with the flat spots up and down how big of a mistake was this. 2nd question the drivers side trunion had a shim but on the passenger side there was no shim is it possible to not have any shims. 3rd question does anyone know how much grease should get packed in the birfield or would like to take a guess so I would know how much I need to get in it.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Don't know what you are asking in question 1. 2. You should leave any shims that were there from the factory. 3. Most will pack the knuckle 3/4 full. Did you not look at Romer's awesome thread write up on mud in the 80's section?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Wincher

Romer"s post is where I am getting my information. On post 19 he states to have the flat spot on the birfield up when reinstalling. And on page 2 post 30 from Jim he states to have the flat spot up when removing and reinstalling. When I removed mine I just pulled them out and am wondering if I made a mistake. About the shims is it common not to have any or should I be thinking it was apart and not replaced. I know to pack the birfield full but it would be good to know if 1/2 cup or whatever is what I should expect get inside it. Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

The only way the birf will come out or go in is with the flat spot on the birf aligned with the knuckle . So if you managed to get it out, then you figured it out. It will only go back in one way, with the flat spot on the birf facing up. Getting the axle all the way in and seated is the bigger challenge, which just takes some finesse and patience.

I suppose that as long as you can get the pre-load on the steering within spec using the ultra-precise fish scale, then the lack of a shim isn't a problem. Most rebuild kits include a few shims in case you need them.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jacket it right, now I rembember.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies