Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
He also said that my gear oil out the solenoid issues are clogged breathers. I rerouted them a few weeks ago so maybe that'll address that.
I've tried all sorta of breathers, OE, an open element right on the axle (this was a test), extended, etc. Never fixed it (both of mine do this).

ARB ended up sending me little adapters so that I could route a blow-off tube under the truck. So now I have a puddle of gear lube under my truck on the garage floor. LOL!

Even with the tubes completely filled they seem to engage alright, so I dunno how much of a problem it is.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

You're supposed to route those exhaust lines into a catch can so you don't end up with the puddles on the floor
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
You're supposed to route those exhaust lines into a catch can so you don't end up with the puddles on the floor
I actually did that with a little film canister (I might be the only one who even remembers those) and it blew off. That was pretty cool. I was thinking of using one of those oil/air separators for compressors but they're expensive and glass. The annoying part is it seems the lube pushes up the tube even if you don't actuate the lockers, I guess from the thermal cycling of the diffs, so it sort of oozes out all the time. I have the drain tube running inside the fender and pointed down under the firewall, so I get a permanent rocker panel undercoat. :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

When my 60 started spitting oil out the solenoid valve, I wrapped a rag around it to keep the oil from dripping down the inner fender. Changing the rag once or twice a year was enough to keep things clean.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Mine spews everywhere.... keeps the rust down in that corner of the truck. Funny thing is the front solenoid is not that bad.

I did the extended breather lines a while back hoping to solve some of the issues since I just guessed that the diff being pressurized would force gear oil up the line. I figured extending them would get the gear oily vent out of the dusty underneath of the truck making it less susceptible to crustifying. I never cleaned the lines so I don't know if it helped... I guess i'll blow the lines clean tonight and see if it stays oil free.
82 FJ40