Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Had mine done in Canada before it was legal in the states. TLC (The Laser Center) in Canada. They are now here. It was comparatively primitive then and I had an epithelial tear in my right eye that has been a bit problematic. I am right eye dominant and the right eye was not fully corrected which kinda drove my brain nuts for a bit (ah... that explains it... ). Nonetheless I was amazed and pleased.

Then about 5 years ago my vision worsened and due to some epithelial inclusion from the tear my doc referred me for 'warranty work'. The pulled back the original flap (they were unsure they could after so long) and used the new computer imaging and lasers. Instant perfection!

Because of vision changes I ended up with monovision. My dominant eye is eagle sharp at distance. My left eye is a bit more nearsighted and allowed me to read uncorrected until recently and even now it is helpful.

Strongly recommend TLC and monovision. They have been doing it the longest. They completely stand behind it for life too.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good info Bill. That is what I am worried about the most, having my sight getting worse after 5+ years and having to do it again. I have used contacts that were set up for mono vision and it was OK but I would like to see well all around.

Like Treeroot said he can only see clear up to about 8" but that is all I can do with no correction.

I think next week will be eye shopping after work.

Any more info please post up I don't want to go blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Getting it redone, when and if your prescription changes, is really no big deal.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had it done January of 2000. I had horrible vision and it came out great. Over the last year my vision has gotten worse. 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.

The eye doctor told me now that I am older, my eye muscles don't focus as well and thats why the vision has gotten worse. I had it done by Dr Roberts and he doesnt do it anymore. Insight Lasik said they would honor Dr Roberts warranty and redo them for $500 an eye.

I originally had LASIK and the result was almost instant with onlya few days of healing. The new dr says he doesnt want to lift another DRs flap and wants to do PRK. Supposedly, PRK is better in the long run, but takes a bit longer to recover and is a bit more painful during the first few days.

I am debating. I can see well enough, but I miss the 20/20 and am leaning towards getting it redone.

This doesnt do anything for reading and I had to start wearing reading glasses last year as well.

I almost wish the would lift the flap and redo the Lasik, but the surgeons dont want to do that at Insight

Any one have theirs redone with the normal LASIK vs the PRK?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Had it done in 2001 by Dr. Goldstein in Denver. Still have perfect vision with the last checkup. My vision was pretty bad before the surgery. I checked around alot due to someone messing with my eyes. Dr. Goldstein was highly recommended and one other things I liked was that he did one eye in the afternoon, you went home, had a checkup the next morning to see if everything went alright and then the other eye that afternoon. Why, if something went wrong, you only messed up one eye, not two!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good info, the one eye at a time is sort of appealing. I was hoping to hear from people that had it done in the last few years.

Time to call some places and set up some appointments.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I had it done January of 2000. I had horrible vision and it came out great. Over the last year my vision has gotten worse. 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.

The eye doctor told me now that I am older, my eye muscles don't focus as well and thats why the vision has gotten worse. I had it done by Dr Roberts and he doesnt do it anymore. Insight Lasik said they would honor Dr Roberts warranty and redo them for $500 an eye.

I originally had LASIK and the result was almost instant with onlya few days of healing. The new dr says he doesnt want to lift another DRs flap and wants to do PRK. Supposedly, PRK is better in the long run, but takes a bit longer to recover and is a bit more painful during the first few days.

I am debating. I can see well enough, but I miss the 20/20 and am leaning towards getting it redone.

This doesnt do anything for reading and I had to start wearing reading glasses last year as well.

I almost wish the would lift the flap and redo the Lasik, but the surgeons dont want to do that at Insight

Any one have theirs redone with the normal LASIK vs the PRK?
We went to Canada as a group of 6 or so. Two people had PRK, the rest LASIK. The PRK folks had blurry vision for quite a while, with redness and dryness, until the epithelial tissue healed over, and even then it took a while for the rapid growth tissue to settle down, 'mature', and give them clear sight. To my knowledge they are pretty happy but... my LASIK was instant great vision and really not much irritation (except for the epithelial inclusion, which is much less likely with modern techniques AFAIK - my epithelial layer was 'loose' which contributed to it).

When they redid my right eye, they lifted the flap even though 1) it was 12 years old, 2) they had never done one that old and told me that if they had any difficulty they would cut a new one. They worked at it a bit, but they were quite successful, and the new laser handled slight astigmatism wonderfully. I am extremely happy. Cannot say enough good things about TLC, and it points to the importance of getting it done at a chain rather than an individual doc. It was no charge despite being in another country.

Get a second opinion. $500 paid per eye for 'warranty' work seems hardly warranty. It would be worth it to pay cash on the barrelhead (or finance it) for doing it whatever way the medical facts suggest without consideration for a few bucks. Long term it won't amount to a hill of beans. Of course... I don't have a daughter in college...

If they also suggest PRK... so be it.

Do be advised that at our advanced age <coff coff>, 20/20 of course means distance only. If you do a lot of close work like computer monitors you'll be wearing glasses. I do love my 20/20 or 20/10** in my right eye, and the left of 20/30-40 helps with close work (though lately even that is getting iffy as my lenses get stiff with age... LOL). The brain really does adjust as long as you keep your dominant eye distance-sharp.

** I do believe this helped in my taking of an antelope doe fawn at a personal best of 620+ yards this year. <Elvis voice> Thank you... thankyouverymuch...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds good, I was looking into a chain just because you have more recourse. I just have to visit some of them and see what I need and go from there. It is just a tough decision to make. Tougher than looking for my back or knee surgeons.

Quote:

TLCA #6136