Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default whats the story with E-85??

we have a gas station in CR that sells it for $2.3X

opinions please before i fill up
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

I heard about that on the radio. They've been doing it for a while now. From what I've heard E85 will drop your MPG a bit and it smells like popcorn.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

E=ethanol. So corn, which requires a high amount of energy to produce the fuel. Under very ideal production conditions it can be a positive energy source, but it is unlikely the E85 you're buying was made that efficiently.

But I'm one of those anti-government, left wing, Al Gore / Michael Moore types, so don't what I say too seriously.. do some research on it though. I think this page is pretty unbiased and fair http://blog.lib.umn.edu/esblog/ES1051/031790.html post up some others that contradict if you find them. Your government wants you to buy ethanol.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm sure you know you can only use it if the car supports it.
Much more corrosive than gas. Have to have special tank, injector, and fuel lines. E85 will eat regular stuff (read fj60)
Old 05-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

not only that, it takes more energy to produce, and is grossly less efficient.

It is a child of the ag lobby to find a market for the subsidized corn growers.

There have been several studies that prove out that to grow enough corn to use e85 as "the" fuel, we (the us) would no longer grow corn for food or ag purposes, and have to have just about every acre in the country (not just current farm) devoted to raising corn.

The distilling process uses guess what, fossil fuel, for it's heat, and releases more co2 into the atmosphere than any other refining process.

don't get fueled. do some research, and you too will get scared.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

From what I have gleaned, GM and Ford ECMs are designed to run efficiently on E85. Toyota ECMs are not. Note the above regards corrosion. The future of ethanol is not corn, and recent refining processes are producing a net gain of energy and are efficient, though not yet widely used.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

You do need to be set up to run it. I think people have put Mega Squirts in their rigs to get the tweaks that way.

Yes, MPG will drop, but your octane is higher, so you can bump up timing and make more power. Not sure how this works, but it supposedly runs cooler.

It would be a much nicer process when we make it out of corn stalks an other waste vs. the corn itself.

Minipig up in Cheyenne just pumped it into his 55 - no corrosion issues yet...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have run it in my old Tahoe and I would only tell you to run it if you can make the numbers work. I did loose about 2.4 MPG so I had to buy more fuel to drive a certain distance. The other thing is that according to GM you should only run 50-50 in your truck so saving money was very hard to do.

If your truck can run it I would run the numbers very carefully, I was unable to save any real $$$ with regular gas at 2.80. Maybe now that gas is at 3.20 a gallon it is easier to save $$$ but I still do not see it as our "Savier" from gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Current E-10 becomes E-15

I posted this under the closest available topic - E-85. I'm sure this will make vapor locking even worse on older carbureted trucks.

The article claims it's approved for 2007-and-newer - which would imply a separate set of pumps for 'regular' E-10 gasoline? I doubt that - I think gas stations will just sell E-15 and you won't have a choice, at some point.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/...est=latestnews
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Re: E-15. Wondering about our old junk. My truck does not particularly like the E-10 now. Obviously it's a shrinking number of people who (1) have old cars designed for 100% gasoline and (b) really care that much how they run. IOW, I bet a lot of people with old cars won't notice the difference in E-10 and E-15 because they are driving old cars because they are old beaters. But I can tell a difference when I get a tank of 10% ethanol verses 0%. Shrug. Lots of groups hate that this old junk is still on the road (insurance, manufacturers, environmentalists) and would like to see another variable that pushes us to scrap them.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding