Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper50cal View Post
Nice Ride Marco! Impressive level of detail thusfar...

As Corbet mentioned, I did try Remflex twice on my 60 before shipping it off to it's new owner in North Carolina...

both times it failed. The material over the #3 - #4 flanges got pushed up and out. I think the problem is that they state VERY low ft.lb. specs...something like 20 ft./lbs and quite frankly an old nut or bolt can hang up well beyond 20 before it's even completely seated. The first install, I know I over-torqued them, the second time I didn't and both failed. It may just be that the specs they require allow the manifold to shimmy around a bit and tear the material, then allowing the manifold to "eject" it slowly upward. Not impressed.
Yep, mine did the same thing.... pushed up and out in about the same spot. It did make a cool whistling noise through the messed up gasket though. Getting the manifold machined seemed to be the trick, but it was hard to find anybody that wanted to machine it. Most folks shied away from it since it was half Al, half cast iron. They were saying that the cast iron manifold tore up their mills. Anyways, the guys at Spitfire Automotive who were recommended by Gunn belted it down.

http://www.spitfireracingengines.com/

Now I'm glad I didn't try the remflex gasket again..
82 FJ40
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Shiny!

I need to get some new lug studs myself. I've got a couple that are stripped since the last tire rotation.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

https://vimeo.com/130610451
82 FJ40
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hecks yesses!!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Way to go Marco.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

" It's Alive! ALLIIIVE! " - Frankenstein

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup

Last edited by MDH33; 06-13-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Awesome!
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, after a long hiatus I've started back on the 40 again. Put gas in it and it started right up. It had been sitting since I drove it up to our new place and I took that last video. Allison was impressed (isn't it awesome when we impress our friend/spouses?!) that it was running and exclaimed "I thought that thing was just a fixture in the garage!!!"

I ended up spending the last week welding up some random odds and ends on the body that I had marked as need to do and did stuff like make the hood and doors fit right. It doesn't look like I did a lot when i look at it but it's getting closer. I have also spent time jsut remembering where I was at with everything.

The next steps are to touch up some body seams (where the new tub meets the cowl), take it apart, flip it and redo body mounts, and start the conversation with the blaster and painter. I plan to use the same painter and blast tech like Adam did on his 40.

I'm hoping to get it in paint sometime in the next few months.

I'm off travelling for the next 7 days for work so nothing much will happen for the next week but hey, at least it's going! Consider the post a public exclamation of project re-initiation!! Sometime after November of 2010 I started the tub swap and after getting most of it done I lost motivation (and started biking a lot more instead of working on the 40)
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 11-11-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oh wow, just noticed there are no shots of the new tub on in this thread and it's lacking a ton of details.. I'll have to update with better pictures sometime.

The majority of the work on the tub has been welding up unused holes, adding nuts for stuff that didn't have any (like welding nuts for jump seats to the tub) and moving things like front seat mounts. Looks like it may have been built left hand drive and for a bench seat. Also took all the fuel filler metal work from the old tub and grafted it onto the new tub. I also have spent a lot of time straightening the tub where it was bent, it ended up being worse than i thought but as with any new replacement metal parts it'll always take some work. Not worried about it.

More stuff that actually happened over the last 6 years:

I got all the grey parts re powder coated. That included roll bar, rear seat frames, and some random other doodads. Finished the rear jump seats with new foam and re cad plated springs and screws.

I also got the front ash tray and grab bar re-chromed.

After trying to salvage the front bib and buying a new used one that also sucked I ended up buying a re-pop new one as well as a new front left fender. Found a new left apron also... that took months

I managed to score a new floor mat for the front. NOS from japan. that was sweet.

I got a new upper dash pad (still need lowers)

I also managed to score a new ash tray for the center console.. mines broken. That happened last year. Some may not think that's a major accomplishment but it was... Adam (With the other 82 40) was just offered a used one for $750. People are starting to take advantage of the desirability of these vehicles, it's frustrating to see that the market has changed from passionate owners willing to help people out to to a market that's in it for the money. Another interesting place this is happening is with emissions parts and other body parts.

Speaking of which, I need a new hood. I have noticed that I have the wrong one for my year.... cringing at what that will cost.
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 11-11-2016 at 06:01 PM.