Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Carpet replacement in 2003 LC

Today TimzToy and I replaced the carpet in my new to me 2003 100 Series LC. Tim arranged a great deal on the carpet and the plan was to install it at his place this morning.

Before we started we inspected the carpet and learned that the parts guy screwed up and only sold me the front section of carpet, there is also a rear "cargo" section of carpet. This was a little frustrating because we gave the parts guy the VIN #. In any case, it was still a good deal.

We had to remove the front and second row seats, most of the center console, and lots of other kick panes and trim pieces.

Here is a picture of the old carpet after the DS seat was removed. I told the that the red stain was the dried blood of the first owner that met his demise in a car jacking. I thought this was very funny but she was not amused.

This is a picture of the PS carpet before replacement:

Jake observed the operation from the third row:

This is a picture of the original carpet. Note that the plastic cover under the PS seat is the CPU for the nav system and this is where I will eventually put an updated data disc for the nav, ideally improving the absolutely horrendous user interface of the 2003 edition:

Under the DS carpet there was some mold that I suspect was the unpleasant odor we were trying to get rid of. I suspect the factory windshield is leaking. When I drove this back from Phoenix I was in a hellacious rainstorm for about three hours. There is clearly evidence of long term leakage, but no rust.

Here is the replacement carpet going in:

All in all this is a huge improvement over the previous carpet. I think that I will clean the original carpet and see if any one wants to buy it. Now that it has been removed it can be properly cleaned and the water issues resolved.

I should point out that TimzToy did the vast majority of the work and i tried to stay out of his way. Good job Tim.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Looks really good. Are you going to replace the rear piece later, or was the front chunk the worst?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Looks really good. Are you going to replace the rear piece later, or was the front chunk the worst?

The front was the worst, but I have already ordered the rear. I'm amazed at how much unpleasant odor was in the carpet. Swapping the back out should make an additional incremental difference.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
The front was the worst, but I have already ordered the rear. I'm amazed at how much unpleasant odor was in the carpet. Swapping the back out should make an additional incremental difference.
The front carpet looks great Jeff... but speculating on whatever kind of blood & guts were spilled in front on second though maybe you should keep the dirty stuff in the back, at least until after hunting season...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

No prob jeff any time.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice job!!!

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

nice work.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Really, really jealous. If you don't mind, what was the cost of the carpet? If there is any problem, by all means don't tell me. But it looks so nice. I really want nice carpet and seats.