Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Default Digital broadcast TV?

http://www.1saleaday.com/
this might help
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't think we've ever had cable TV or dish. We've only used the yagi antenna in the attic. It is a big sucker. Barely fits up there. Biggest one I could find at radio shack 10 years ago.

When I moved in, I saw the HOA prohibited outdoor antennae. The HOA is long dead now and take a look. You see parabolic antennae mounted externally on almost every house!

If the HOA gives you static (hi-hi) about your eternally mounted yagi tell them you want all the external parabolic antennae removed from everyone's house too.

"Digital" antenna. Hmm; Reminds me of when they were labeling plain old computer speakers, "MP3 ready."

We don't watch much TV. We certainly watch more HULU, Discovery Channel, and History Channel online than OTA broadcast TV. Frankly, OTA sucks pretty hard. It is about evenly split between Spanish language, evangelical, and English language channels. All channels are riddled with commercials too. When we stay at a hotel, I notice that there is the same "nothing on the TV" crap on cable as OTA, just a lot more of it.

I don't have a list of channels we get OTA out in Aurora, but it is more than the 3 fuzzy channels we had growing up in Michigan. *shakes his old man fist* OK, now I have to go outside and tell some whippersnappers to get off my lawn.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber22 View Post
Hmmm, what did I miss? It's a heart monitor watch now.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The one we have is linked below. We get 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 20, 31, 59 very solid. It drops out briefly if I walk in front of it, but it's sitting on the floor behind the TV stand, at the ground floor in the middle of the house. Horrible location. I don't get 12 very well, but this tower is way up Deer Creek Canyon and I have no visibility to it.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT301-Amp.../dp/B00008V6JO

Hmmm, price is right but looks like the reviewers hate it for the most part...

I got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT111-Bas...0013655&sr=1-3
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 11-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Hmmm, price is right but looks like the reviewers hate it for the most part...
Hmmm, bunch of random people on Amazon or a person you actually know. Shrug. We've had it forever but our sample size is two house, one in Arvada and the other in Denver. IOW, not exactly fringe reception areas. Not to mention that I usually try and take care of my stuff. Not that I don't break things, but it sat/sits on top of a TV and never moved much and so it has not broken (yet).
A lot of people like the ANT111, too. Building broadcast TV antennas just ain't rocket science. I mean they had rabbit ears more or less perfected by like 1965.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Make you own TV antenna
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Fast forward....

We are done with DirecTV. Too expensive and Ben has figured out how to channel surf. I think there is another thread in here but can't find.

Marco is your antenna still the best one to get? I also will do Netflix via the TV and what ever else works well.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

I went to a regular antenna like Hulk posted at the beginning of the thread. That small circular one didn't work very well.

Also, I built one like Matt posted in post 26 for the fun of it and it actually worked really well. I used coat hangers.
82 FJ40
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I got an enormous old-school TV antenna off the roof of some friends, free. They were glad to have me remove it. With a little careful flexing, I got it up into my attic. It's now wired to 2 TVs (on 2 different floors) in my house, and it works great. Digital over-the-air broadcast quality is great. Also it's FREE!

I literally did everything for free, using old materials that I had saved from other stuff: all the cable, the splitter, plus the free antenna from my friends.

Chris, the reception from your house will be even better than mine, since you are significantly closer to the broadcast antennas.

Most of the TV we watch, however, is from Netflix or Hulu Plus. We spend about $8/mo. on each of these services. We also rent a couple of RedBox BluRay DVDs every month.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

anybody have issues with channels you've blocked coming back into rotation? i'm getting pretty f'n sick of having to go back in and block azteca...both my tvs do it
ige tlca #1431