Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default I want dual batteries in the 60

I'm ready to do dual batteries in the 60. I saw Nakman's sweet IBS setup, but wondering for much less $$ than that, would either of these setups be worth looking into? What would be the drawbacks of something like these vs. the IBS?

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-V...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://www.amazon.com/T-MAX-47-3800-...1483323&sr=1-1
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM

I just use an isolator that contains two diodes, each battery is isolated from the other by charging through the diodes. The second battery is basically a standby if you run the primary flat at camp. Total cost is under 10 bucks.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here is my write up for a dual battery install in my 60.

I used the National Luna setup. Not the cheapest, but I liked that the kit came with everything and was pretty straight-forward installing.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim's is sweet for sure. I saw it and I wanted it.

Here's what I did.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...t=dual+battery

So far I really like it a lot. seems to work pretty flawlessly. handles a lot of current too.

Get the cables made up by a marine place online and save yourself some bucks. Hensley Battery in Denver can custom make cables too. I paid way too much for mine.
82 FJ40
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I ended up doing the dual battery set-up that Slee has on his site. I made my own cables and ordered an isolator that is used on tractors (200amp). It turned out nice and inexpensive.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

If anyone is interested, I have the battery tray and bracket for an FJ40 that allows you to mount dual batteries under the hood.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think the Hellroaring isolator is a popular choice with a reasonable price tag. I've got the National Luna kit as well, but had to customize it a bit and upgrade the wires to accommodate a winching setup. Still a great product with nearly 5 years of flawless service, but its expensive even before you have to make changes.

Just a few weeks ago I left work at the end of the day and wandered out to the parking lot to head home. Tried to unlock the doors with the fob - no dice. Unlocked it manually, got in the truck, and I had drained the main battery. Oops....or not. A quick press of a button to open current to/from the 2nd battery, and viola - cranked her right over. With all advantages of a DBS, that feature is one of my favorites....
Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I prefer the IBS over the Hellroaring. Part of that is the control.. hellroaring gives you a toggle switch and LED, while the IBS gives you more of a readout on battery voltages.. I had to create/add that functionality for the 80's Hellroaring setup. Also Hellroaring's basic backup setup uses your main battery for everything, leaving the second just as a backup. Over the years that's resulted in 8000 wires coming off my main battery, while the second battery sits on the other side all lonely with nothing to do... there's probably another config available with Hellroaring I just didn't do it, went with what was recommended at the time which was their "basic backup setup," one of my few regrets on the 80 build.

I'm liking the setup better where the main battery stays the main battery, but the second battery runs all the extra stuff. I particularly like having the ham radio wired direct to the second battery in the 100, not only it is another way to read its voltage, but the power doesn't spike when I start the truck which I think is hard on the radio, and I always forget to turn it off when starting the 80 back up on runs, etc.

I probably could have saved some money by piecing together a kit that does what the IBS does but this is one area where I'd prefer to just set it and forget it.. it's rock solid and super easy to wire up (easier than Hellroaring was) and it even works, I ran the main battery down last weekend wiring up the rear seat heaters and enjoyed pushing the button to link the second battery and fire the truck right up. I also like how the two batteries don't need to be the same, can even be one cheap one and an AGM, doesn't matter, while with Hellroaring iirc it's more of a bigger deal to keep them both the same, like two yellow tops, etc.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I carry a red top optima and set of jumpercables in the trunk when I feel it's necessary. (and most of the winter) Optima gets plugged into the wall occationally to keep it charged. Low tec and inexpensive. It's easy to remove and useful for jumping cars that are in parking lots or other area that are difficult to reach with my truck.

One day I'll go NL.