Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Photography Corner

Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Advice From the Experts

I was wondering if any of you could offer advice on a new camera for my wife and I. You'd be helping us buy our x-mas present. Right now all we have is a little point and shoot Cannon Elph, which is a great camera, but not for all occasions. We bought it because of how small it is, which makes travelling with it a breeze. But when we are on the trail, we have the room for a camera that can do a little more. Plus, I am tired of the phrase "don't bother taking a picture, the XXXXX will just look like a spec."

I am just starting my research now but thought I would shoot it out to you all to see what words of wisdom you have. I would also be interested to know if you guys visit any good used camera shops.

As far as our specification, we are still developing them. We do want a decent optical zoom and of course all of the standard features that come on most cameras now. Ease of use is always nice, so I don't need to give someone an instruction manual if they are taking our picture. Quality is also a big deal. I will always pay extra for quality when I am buying something I want to last.

Thanks,

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc, Front axle serviced and approved by Rising Sun 4x4
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nikon D7000? Not a bad set up for the money if what you're looking for is a DSLR.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
Nikon D7000? Not a bad set up for the money if what you're looking for is a DSLR.
Thanks. I was going to try so stay a little south of the D7000 price tag. However, Nikon is one of the brands I have been looking at as well as Sony and Canon.

The two objects of my affection lately have been the Sony A33 and the Rebel T1i or T2i. Seems like they are all high quality cameras with good reputations. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Ultimately, my wife and I plan to do a lot of outdoor/nature and people pictures. We don't go to a lot of sporting events so most of our shots will be "stills". I am still considering whether I need high quality video. I don't use the video much now on my point and shoot and I imagine if I starting needing it more someday, I will go buy a video camera.

Thanks for any other advice you all have.
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc, Front axle serviced and approved by Rising Sun 4x4
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

i've been using a sony a330. bought as a package with 17-55 and 55x200 lenses. very happy with it. durable, which i need. takes great pics. the two lenses cover most everything i do. think it was like 499 complete online.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

I have used Canon all my life from the manuals to the AFs. It is a matter of what fits your needs and fits your hands when it comes to a choice of Canon or Nikon. When I am ask what we should get I say sit down and make a short list then go shopping. If looking at the Rebel be carful the lens mount is not plastic. They were this way in the begining not sure about now. This will factor for your durablitly. One step up is the 40 or 50Ds. I use 2 1D Mark IIs. Way on the high side of what your looking for but it fit my needs as a shooter. I had a 10D in the begining and wore it out in 6-8 months. Another thing is when looking at bodies get a little bit more than what you need so if you ever change what you want to do the camera will grow with you. For the non pro market and if you can afford it i would say save on the body and by the lenses with the good glass. I have seen this with wedding i have photographed with cheaper lenses and the contrast and color is so much better with the better glass. It is the glass that makes your images. The body only controls what the lens sees. my .02 You can't really go wrong in what is out there today. good luck and have fun with what ever you get.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Kenny and everyone else for your advice.