Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Lifted

Default Busted Brake Line

Lost my brakes today. Front stainless braided brake line burst or got hit by a rock or something. Haven't fully inspected it yet. I have my original rubber lines, so I can get by for now. Does anyone happen to know of any place in the Denver area that might have braided stainless lines for a 3rd generation 4runner? I can order over the internet, but thought I would take a shot at local first.

Thanks in advance.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

take it to aai speed shop...they have earls lines and adapters to metric.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Lifted

Before I say anything else.... thanks so much for the suggestion... almost worked out perfect....

AAI gave me the wrong thread size. Now they are closed, and I have no transportation to get another brake line from somewhere that actually knows how to measure a thread. I will never be doing business with them again. Couldn't find my old rubber lines. Think I may have given them away. Anyone in the Arvada area got any spares lying around?
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've probably got my old Tacoma rubber lines lying around some place, but you said you've already got your old set.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Lifted

Yeah, I thought I had my old set, but I think I gave them away or something, cuz I can't find them. I don't think Tacoma lines will fit, they have the "banjo" fitting don't they? Thanks though.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun member

Something I heard about stainless steel lines is that dirt and junk can get under the ss braid and abrade the inner liner. Over time this can lead to this kind of failure. Some ss lines have an outer layer of clear plastic or whatever to keep dirt etc. from getting access to the ss braid and potentially getting under it. Something to think about since our trucks see a lot of dirt operation.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Lifted

Hmmm.... that is a good point. As it happens, the one that failed does have the rubber coating on the outside. It was kind of "melted" from the brake fluid and peeling off. The new ones that I got from AAI that didn't fit, did not have the coating. I had not considered it. I will now. As it turns out, my old ones have a lifetime warranty though. I got a raybestos rubber line from checker for $15 in the meantime. Hopefully, I can get a free replacement for my braided line and then get my money back from AAI for the piece of crap they sold me. Then, I will carry the rubber line with me as a spare for now on.

Thanks for all the advice guys... and gals.

Stay classy Colorado!